"Can't talk, Dad," he said. "The guys and I are going to grab something to eat before the movie."

"Be home by-"

"Ten-thirty," he tossed over his shoulder, as he hurried down the stairs. "I know."

"Have fun, but be safe," I told him.

"Will do, Dad."

I checked my watch and then moved up the hallway.

"Hello, dear," Mom said, emerging from her bedroom. "How was your day?"

"Busy." I dropped a kiss on her forehead. "How's Piper doing?"

"She's doing better," Mom replied. "She's on the phone with Tawny."

Tawny was her best friend. They met in the first grade and became fast friends.

"You said last night at dinner that you had plans for tonight," Mom said. "What kind of plans?"

"I have a date," I responded.

Her eyes lighting up, Mom embraced me. "Honey, that's wonderful. What's her name? How did you two meet? Where are you taking her?"

I chuckled. "You sound like Piper when she gets excited about something."

"I can't help it," she said, gazing up at me. "This is the first date you've been on since the divorce. It's a big deal."

"It is," I agreed. "Her name is Colleen. She's the doctor that treated Piper's ear infection. I ran into her at the grocery store when I was getting Piper's ice cream. I asked her to dinner and she said yes. I'm taking her to Marlowe's."

"It's too late to get her flowers," Mom mumbled. "That's a shame because you should never show up empty handed on a first date."

"I sent her roses earlier today," I said.

Mom gave my cheek a pat, beaming at me. "That's my boy."

I rolled my eyes.

"Now stop rolling your eyes at me and go get yourself ready." She gave me a gentle shove toward my bedroom. "You don't want to be late picking her up."

I went into my room, closing the door behind me.

I rang the doorbell, took a deep breath, and wiped my sweaty palms on my pants. Now that I was here, standing at her door, I was experiencing an attack of nerves. As Mom had put it earlier, this was a big deal. Going on this date meant I was ready to move on from Vanessa. It was a fresh start for me.

The door opened, at that moment. My breath caught in my throat at the sight of her. She was wearing a lacy blue dress that hugged her body. She had pulled her hair back, drawing attention to the graceful curve of her jaw and the column of her neck.