Revelations [Chapter 6]

Chapter 6

The chances of two humans who are well aware of the supernatural community seeing each other in a random yet supposedly exclusive location were very slim. There’s a larger probability of you running into a demon in a busy street, a vampire in a bar, a troll under a bridge. For very obvious reasons, humans were never all that accepted by the supernatural.

As far as they’re concerned, we’re all just a pack of un-evolved lowlifes. Even cats and dogs are held at a higher regard than us. The only reason we’re able to thrive is because we breed like rabbits and have far longer longevity than almost any mortal species on the planet. The very limited numbers of humans who do know a thing or two about the supernatural are normally born with a measure of talent that make them better suited in handling the incredible burden of simply knowing that there’s something out there that crossed the border of normality.

These are the Magi. The witches, sorcerers, psychics like my new friend Margaret – people capable of interacting with and manipulating the primordial forces around them. Because of this distinction, the supernatural community accepted them just enough to allow them to be signatories of the Moirae Accords. The Magus Court has only been active for half a century, which isn’t much in comparison to other millennia old factions, and was already struggling as a community. They didn’t have the long lives of most immortal creatures which made them all the more vulnerable, despite their notable talents.

Meeting Margaret had been a stroke of luck and an utter surprise. Seeing Elaine, on the other hand, shouldn’t have been if I was better at putting two and two together.

“Ten,” Elaine seethed.

“Look, just calm down, okay?” I said. “Ten seconds is barely enough.”

She cracked a knuckle. “Nine.”

“Alright! Alright!” I consented. “I’m…here on business.”

Elaine blinked at that one and then snorted. “Really? You really want to go with that story?”

“I’m serious-“

Just as I was about to further protest my innocence, a tall young man sauntered next to Elaine, grabbing her by the waist and grinning widely at us. “Bullying people already, honey?”

My eyebrows rose at the sight. I didn’t really know how to act to that. Something deep inside me wanted to scream at the guy to get his hands off my girl, another one wanted to see how it plays out, but my brain didn’t seem to want to listen to either side. Instead, I froze with my mouth open.

“Um – Chris?”

Margaret’s prodding jerked me out of the surprise and I immediately retreated to my defense mechanism: smiling. “Well, it looks like I’m not the only one who needs to explain himself,” I said smugly.

Elaine returned the smile. “You do not want to make this any worse for yourself, Chris.” She lifted her foot and rammed her heel into the new guy’s foot. He would’ve screamed if she didn’t time an elbow into his solar plexus – that tiny gap around the middle of your upper torso that causes severe breathing difficulties. As such, new guy gasped for air and stumbled behind Elaine.

Behind me, Margaret let out tiny giggles.

“Chris, this is my co-worker, David. Co-worker,” she snapped, grabbing David’s arm and forcing him to stand next to her. “This is my boyfriend, Christopher Pierce, who will be explaining what he’s doing here hitting on underage girls.”

“Um, I’m twenty,” Margaret said sheepishly.

“I thought…you were…joking…about…the boyfriend…,” David heaved, out of breath from Elaine’s strike.