5555

by: weepies
on
archive of our own
"5555"

reddie
28,430 words
sad shit

i highly suggest reading this!!

・゚: *・゚:*       *:・゚*:・゚

It has always been like this, the two of them settled in the suede leather seats of an old yellow pick up truck, laughing heads stuck out open car windows, junk food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, no cares in the world, their only destination the open road as they continue to drive endlessly. At least, that is what it feels like to Richie Tozier, gazing across his car at his friend, Eddie Kaspbrak, entranced by his starry eyes, the endearing feature a disguise for the feistiness he radiates, and the strength he echoes. And though they only met a few months ago, Richie has never known a better friend.

Thinking back to their first night together always shocks Richie, makes goose bumps form across his skin, with his toes curling, his lips trembling, because with nothing but nature as a witness, he formed a pact with a complete stranger. When Richie had spotted Eddie, between the trees, he had gone over and introduced himself, the moon shining down on the both of them. There were tears in Eddie's eyes, yet Richie pretended not to notice. Perhaps he didn't know how to address it, or perhaps he just didn't want to deal with it. Both boys spoke of wanting a better life, a better family, more opportunities than this small town had to offer, and Richie remembers thinking how he had never been this honest with anybody, because for some peculiar reason, being honest with a stranger is easier. It is a weight off your shoulders, a sigh of relief. It is elation, completion. That is how Richie thought of it.

"I just wish I could pick up and leave," Richie had said, sitting beside Eddie in the grass, his face red with anger at the snarky comments his father had thrown his way, at the bottle of wine his mother had tossed to his head. "It's not like my parents would come looking for me. They're both assholes. Two ginormous pieces of shit. Don't you ever wish that, Eddie? Like you could just take all your stuff with you and run away? I think about that a lot. Seems like a wet dream."

"Well, why don't we?" Eddie had asked, his voice thick from his tears, congested because of his allergies. To this day, it still stumps Richie that Eddie had suggested they flee. "We could go right now. It's nearly one in the morning," he had been checking his watch routinely, as if he had somewhere to be, but Richie assumed it was out of paranoia for his mother coming to fetch him, "We could leave now and our parents wouldn't even know until morning. At least seven. That's six hours to get as far away as we can."

"You mean it?" Richie's eyebrows had shot up, surprised, excited. "We just met. I could be a serial killer for all you know. You could be a serial killer."

"I've seen you around school." And Eddie had shrugged so casually.

"That's true. And you're harmless," Richie had thought out loud, and he was startled to feel a jab at his side—Eddie's doing, a mad look on his face. It was stupid of Richie to pass judgment on Eddie; he truly didn't know Eddie back then. Neither of them knew anything about the other. That was part of the reason Richie was so quick to agree, because he needed something new, and Eddie was new.

"I am not harmless," Eddie had said, his eyes thundering—a challenge. "I could ruin your life."

"I dare you," Richie had replied, a smug smile on his face.