Bed of Roses

Chapter Ten

My fingers moved rhythmically as I laced up my military boots, tightening them very tight before pulling my khaki pant legs back down. Today was the search and elimination of Stephen Dee Richards, it shouldn't be that difficult to pull off, there's more than enough firepower coming with us to hunt down one man. All in total, we had Wynonna, Waverly, Doc, Dolls, and Nicole coming with us, all of them playing a major part in the operation. 

I walked into the kitchen of the Homestead, watching as Waverly danced around the kitchen to some music coming from somewhere else in the house. She had insisted we all eat before we go out, she also insisted to make a breakfast made for a whole ship of hungry vikings. I tried to ignore Nicole like she was ignoring me, but I just couldn't pull it off. 

My eyes would wonder over to her, resting on her face, admiring the many facial expressions she made as Wynonna attempted to help Waverly cook. Dolls and Doc were sitting at the table, Dolls standing to hand me a cup of coffee. 

"Here Lyons, this may be different for you but I'm used to it now. This is just how they do it, they're nervous, it's better to allow them to get it out now rather than while the mission is in operation." Dolls nodded at me before he took his seat again, my only option was the seat next to Nicole, not even earning a glance from her as I pulled the chair out to sit. 

It stung that she was ignoring me, but I couldn't be upset about it, it was my own fault. I needed to start thinking of how I was speaking to people, only used to speaking with men that would be upset over a comment I made but get over it within 20 minutes. 

I took a sip of my coffee, Dolls adding absolutely nothing to it, causing me to grimace slightly. I detested the taste of straight black coffee. As I stared down at the blue coffee cup filled with the dark brown liquid, a sugar container was slid into my line of sight, my eyes shooting up to Nicole only to find her watching Waverly and Wynonna again, talking with them about something; as if the small gesture wouldn't affect me at all.

My heart did a flip as I stared at the side of the deputy's face, knowing damn well she could feel me staring at her. I couldn't help it, she had this aura around her that just pulled me towards her.

A plate was set down in front of me, looking down at the three pancakes on my plate. As I stared down at my breakfast, I started to think of my mother, the good times we had shared before that awful day came. 

I placed my hand on the table, holding the fork very tightly as I remembered dancing in the kitchen with her, her long blonde hair swaying as she danced with me to songs I can't remember now. We would dance all around the table, circling it repeatedly as the pancakes cooked on the stove; only stopping to flip and check on them. She would always cook with her favorite apron on, a pastel blue apron that her grandmother had made for her. 

I had never met my great-grandmother, my mother and I were completely isolated from everyone, the only education I knew came from her and homeschooling. 

I could actually hear her laugh as she helped me pour the syrup over the food, ending up in a fit of giggles as I accidentally dropped the container and syrup spilled all over the floor. She never yelled at me, never raised a hand towards me, she knew how to raise a child correctly; my father did not. 

I felt a hand land softly on my wrist as my thoughts were interrupted, looking at the deputy's hand before I looked at the now completely bent fork in my hand. I dropped it onto the table, astonished that I had been doing that the entire time I had been having the flashback. 

"You good try hard, or are pancakes not your thing?" Wynonna asked, raising her coffee cup to her lips as she looked at me. I shook my head with a chuckle as I stood up, Nicole finally moving her hand from my wrist as I got up to grab another fork from the drawer.