The Match

WARNING: Graphic depictions of violence

Chapter Eight

The smell of coffee filled my nose as I stepped into the Sheriff's Office, watching a few deputies run past me towards their squad cars. The air in the office dripped of tension and anxiety as I looked back up, almost running into a crying woman. 

"How could he do that?" She was sobbing, hitting the deputy in the chest as he took her statement, trying to calm her down. I was confused, no one had texted or called me, what was going on? 

I heard a door shut, my eyes snapping up to look directly into Sheriff Nedley's eyes. He sighed as he zipped up his coat, shaking his head at me, trying to walk past me without an explanation. 

I grabbed his arm, hearing him sigh loudly as he turned to look at me. "Agent." He said, looking at me as if I had done the horrible thing that woman had been talking about. My head was filled with so much confusion, what on earth had happened?

"Sheriff, what's going on? I wasn't called." He chuckled and shook his head, motioning me to follow him out to his squad car. 

"You'll see." He said grimly, the radio in his car going off, the dispatcher stating that the coroner was en route to the scene. 

Coroner? What the hell?

He pulled up outside a dilapidated house, Dolls' squad car was already parked there along with three other department cars. We got out of the car, several people coming in and out of the scene. I started to take note of all of the things wrong with how the scene was being handled, the deputies not allowing the scene to be processed correctly. 

No one was standing outside of the house logging who was coming and going, effectively losing any aspect of understanding who may be tampering with evidence inside the house. I glared at one of the deputies, he smiled at me gently before he quickly turned his body away from me, throwing up into the yard. I scowled, noting he had just ruined more of the crime scene. 

I felt irritation fill me as I walked up the three stairs onto the porch, Nedley opening the door for me with a gloved hand. There were several people huddled in the living room, all looking at something. Almost immediately I was hit with the smell of decaying flesh, my nostrils flaring before attempting to get used to the scent. Nedley put his hand over his nose and mouth, not being able to ignore the smell as I was. 

Dolls noticed me first, standing up quickly to stop me from observing anymore of the scene. He put his hands up, trying to stop me. "No Lyons, this one is too bad, even for you." I pushed past the taller man, locking eyes with Nicole as she stood up, looking down at the child that was lying on the floor. 

"Too bad? Dolls I witnessed my parents' murder, what the fuck are you talking about?" I shot out, feeling slightly overwhelmed by how everyone in the room started to look at me, not even looking at the child's dead body laying on the floor.

His throat was visibly slashed, almost to the point of decapitation, blood everywhere in the living room. The child couldn't have been older than 10. 

"And what the hell are you all doing in here, this is far too many people in here staring at this poor child. Jesus christ Deputy Haught, do you have any control over this crime scene; everyone get out!" I yelled, my voice booming off of the white walls as Nicole's mouth fell open, looking as if I had stabbed her. Wow, maybe it was too soon to make that sort of joke...

"Agent Lyons, this is not in your-" 

"It obviously is if you can't secure a damn scene, now get out, all of you!" I yelled again, directly at the deputy as she looked at me with fire in her eyes, walking past me and out the door followed by everyone else.