Chapter Seven. The Edgars.

Start from the beginning

"Haven't you made your move yet?" asked Frank, returning from one of his many forays on the dance floor. 

"No, I haven't. I'm so scared I'll suffer the same fate as you." 

"It's not the end of the world you know. Give it a try." 

"Only if you come with me and ask one of the others to dance." 

"No problem. Maybe I'll ask the youngest one this time." 

As they approached the table, John realized that Sheila recognized him. She smiled at him, and then, in an exaggerated manner, leaned over and whispered something that caused her siblings much mirth. Probably giving details of their early morning meeting, he thought. She seemed a little disappointed when Frank asked her to dance, but it didn't register with John. His eyes were on Susan. He had never been so nervous. 

"Please may I have the pleasure of this dance?" 

There was a short pause, sufficiently long for tremors of doubt to ripple through his belly. Then she whispered a sweet, "I would be delighted." John gently took Susan's hand and led her on to the dance floor. As they faced each other, waiting for the music to start, John was speechless. His lips were dry, his larynx frozen, his mind empty. Luckily, Susan was socially more adept.  

"That scar on your forehead, it looks so fresh. What happened?" 

This gave John another opportunity to detail the hazards associated with rural postal delivery. She was an attentive listener, and gazed up at John, apparently fascinated by his exploits. During the dance, she expertly led the conversation into areas of mutual interest, school, and "A" levels. John relaxed, and began to appreciate the fragrance of her hair as she nestled close, and the undulations of her body, as she moved rhythmically to the strains of the band. All too soon the dance ended, John politely returned Susan to her seat and rejoined Frank and Ray. 

"So did she give you a hard on?" queried Ray.

John blushed.

"I guessed as much. Your war wound gave you away." 

"What do you mean?" 

"When you were dancing with her the scar on your forehead turned bright red. I could see it from here. Now it's gone back to pale pink. Must be your blood pressure. Girls won't need to feel the gun in your pocket, they'll know from that scar." 

John laughed. "I think she knew I was interested anyway." 

"I wouldn't get your hopes up, mate." 

"What do you mean, Frank?" 

"I think she's already taken. She's studying for her "A" levels this year, but next year, instead of going on to University, she'll be attending a finishing school in Switzerland. Apparently she wants to be near her German boyfriend." 

"How do you know all this?" 

"The younger sister told me while we were dancing. By the way, she was asking a lot of questions about you. I think she might be interested." 

"But she's so young." 

"Ripe for the picking," said Ray. 

His hopes with Susan shattered, John turned his attentions to the youngest sister, Sheila. She was the tallest of the three, with light brown hair recently cut in the fashionable urchin style. The curlers had obviously failed. Dressed in a short, simple, forest green dress that showed off her lithe figure and a pair of low heels that enhanced the curvature of her calves, she was attracting a lot of attention from the local Lotharios.  

The bandleader announced a ladies' choice. The Edgar girls looked over at John, talking animatedly. Sharon was shaking her head, but Susan gave Sheila a gentle push in John's direction. She approached and quietly asked, "Would you care to dance?" Flattered, John accepted. He felt much more at ease with the younger girl, and was pleasantly surprised by the maturity of her conversation. She was no slouch on the dance floor either, moving sensuously to the Latin beat, and tactfully ignoring his many missteps. When the dance ended, she made no move towards her sisters.

John sensed the hesitation and pounced. "That was great. Would you mind having the next dance with me?" 

"Sure," she replied with a grin.

It was a long slow. As the dance progressed, their bodies moved closer together. Soon they were dancing cheek to cheek. He could feel the firmness of her young breasts and the strength of her muscular thighs as she pressed against him. He could feel his temple throbbing. Maybe Ray was right.  

"Sheila, it's time to go. James is downstairs with the car. You know how mad he gets if we keep him waiting. Say your goodbyes right now and get moving." It was Sharon, bringing their dance to an abrupt end.  

"Is there any chance I might see you again?" asked John nervously, realising that this might be his only chance. 

"I would like that." 

"By yourself? Could I take you to the pictures or something?"  

"I don't think so. This was my first dance tonight, and I was only allowed to come on condition that I would be chaperoned by my sisters." 

"Surely there must be something you do alone. Somewhere you go, where I could meet you." 

"Well I do walk my dog every evening." 

"That would be great. Any chance that...?" 

"How about tomorrow night, about seven? 

"That'll be fine with me. Where should I meet you?" said John, barely able to conceal his elation. 

"Outside the front gates, but don't be too conspicuous" 

"I'll be there." 

Sheila walked away towards her sisters who were waiting at the top of the stairs holding her coat. She turned, and gave him one more smile, before descending out of sight, bickering with a scowling Sharon.