c h a p t e r - t h i r t y t w o

Cora's P.O.V

My finger brushed against Cole's chest, the single movement had brought me old memories that made me warm up, even though the heat of the room was enough to do that. Words rested against my tongue, slowly building themselves up and then changing; I didn't want to anger him in any way but there was an underlying part of me that wanted to just poke the monster.

"You shouldn't have done that." Cole chuckled, the vibrations of his body causing me to shiver against him. The confirmation of my final words left my mind; he was here and I was here, like before, once again, the same comfort and happiness. Something pressed against my head, pressed for me to speak.

"I mean you shouldn't have decided to blame Jessie for all of this, Cole." As soon as the words had left me, I felt an instant coldness wrap around me as Cole's body turned rigid. We parted, Cole's arm leaving me and his warmth. The words uttered through my lips had left an acidic touch to him, but this was his own sister!

I had sat up and leaned against the headboard, Cole mirrored my movements, wrapping the sheets around us. I fiddled with my hands, something I hadn't done for a long time but only because I hadn't been so concerned with how Cole was going to react. I took a deep breath in and released, bringing myself to look him in the eyes.

"She's your sister, Cole. She's the one who was hell bent on saving your life, to find you, all those years ago and even now! She's the last person you should be suspecting." My reasoning didn't seem to be processing through his mind as he glared at the sheets, a dark look washing over his face. I reached out and touched his hand, pulling back once he had snapped his eyes up to me.

"She also shot you, Cora! You of all people should be mindful of what she's done, what her fucking answer should have been but what it was instead." My eyebrows furrowed in confusion, until it clicked in my mind and I looked at Cole in horror. My past experiences hadn't failed me before, Cole was a man of his word and he would go to far lengths to protect who he loved.

"What did you do to her, Cole?" I lifted my hand to my mouth as I turned cold, my voice shaking as I looked at the man before me, the man capable of snapping a person in half just for the fun of it maybe. Cole sighed and rubbed his head, looking away from me. "I didn't hurt her...much."

A unrecognizable sound left my mouth as I got out of the bed, taking the sheet with me and wrapping it around me. I looked at him, bewildered at his casual statement. "How the fuck could you hurt her? She's...she's your family! You're not supposed to hurt family!"

"She's your family too and she fucking hurt you didn't she? Or are you going to act as if I'm the bad guy too?" He had caught me there, but I was quick to respond. "We don't know why she did that, Cole! Or are you hiding that from me too?" He didn't answer me, but we continued to glare at each other until he made the move to get up.

"I need to catch some air." He wrapped his own sheets around him too before he got off the bed and pushed past me, making me stumble a little, before he walked out the room grabbing a couple articles of clothing. I stood in the same spot I was in for at least ten minutes, rethinking what just happened.

Tears burned my eyes as I walked over to the bed and sat down on it. Rolls and rolls of salty water slid down my cheeks, before I roughly wiped them away and stood up. I had said that crying was enough, just take a breather and let those tears out, but that was before and this was now, breaking my own promise.

"Fucking ass." I whispered to myself, thinking of the assailant. There had to be some other clue as to why they were deciding to make these small surprises, something that Cole had...missed. I cringed inwardly, the word etched into my mind along with Cole's in the same sentence, it hadn't sounded right at all.

I walked out of the bedroom after taking a shower and rethinking each event that had happened and coming to no sort of helpful outcome. The only thing that I could probably process successfully would be going into Cole's office, a place that I didn't exactly think I would be allowed it, but hell...I am his wife and I am allowed to intrude!

Although, my body was starting to work against my own wishes as soon as I had gotten to the front of Cole's office door. I reached out to touch the knob of the door, but my mind had instantly flashed back to the time I had disobeyed...

"What have I fucking said to you, Little Red?" Cole questioned, the words coming out through his clenched teeth. His posture stood brooding, his face shaping into a sharpness of anger that aroused me more than it scared me. I had gulped and moved back, moaning when my ass hit his desk.

"N-Not to?" I breathed out the two words, unable to concentrate on the man who was so close to me that I found it hard to focus on what I was supposed to say. My bottom lip was pulled into the grasp of my teeth, hoping that he would give me a lighter punishment.

Of course I was wrong to assume because I was turned around in a second, my ass protruding out, ready for whatever Cole was going to do because I was under him, I was his submissive and I do believe that I had misbehaved by not following instructions. A gasp left my mouth as my head rolled to the back of my head when I felt Cole finger slide onto one of my ass cheeks.

It wasn't the fact that my ass was sensitive, but it was the arousing sense of him controlling me that brought the lust out from me. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the feeling of Cole's gentle touch, slowly moving to my wetness before he brushed against my clit and I hissed out loud. I screamed out in surprise when he pulled my hair back and smacked my ass at the same time.

"I hope you've got the energy, Little Red." He whispered in my ear, the harsh tones of his words poking me, sending heat to my core. "Because I'm going to destroy this pussy to the point where you will not be able to even sit up."

I snapped out of my flashback when I heard something crash in the kitchen. My feet had led me towards that way, but I stopped realising that I had no weapon of self defense with me or even around me. My fear rose when I heard quick footsteps heading towards me and I backed into the wall, frozen in fear of what to do.

Forcing myself to turn my head to spot something, I reached out to grab a basket from a table that was near by. I counted to myself in my head, preparing to confront the attacker my attacker, with the basket held high over my head I turned around the corner and screamed as I was about to attack. But I stopped short.

"Can you believe that this little creature jumped in from the window?" My breath came out short as I dropped the basket, looking at the man in front of me with fear in my eyes. I was frozen in my spot, unable to believe who was in front of me. The words of question weren't able to form on my lips.

"Don't worry, you won't have to say anything." He stepped closer, the cat in his arms, staring at the forms of bandages and gauze. "Watch yourself, or you're not going to be as lucky as me. I know you're close to finding him, Cora...but don't get yourself killed..." I heard the front door open from behind me, making me turn around but as soon as I turned back...Lee wasn't there.

"Cora?" I was scared, was that Lee?