c h a p t e r - s i x t e e n

My fingers hovered over the "call" button on my phone before my eyes flickered over at the picture of the three of us that was on my desk. Sighing, I locked my phone before throwing it down onto my desk and leaning back on my leather office chair. I wanted to call my father, I did but I couldn't find the courage to do it.

This would blow over soon, wouldn't it? Of course it wouldn't, we weren't dealing with someone who was inexperienced. These people were smart, smarter than we thought considering that no one had traced who it was from what I heard. Whoever it was managed to go past the security cameras, they didn't leave anything of them behind. No trace, whatsoever.

I sat up in my seat again and began typing whatever it is that I needed to do without having to think about Cole. He was the last person I wanted tot hink about right now, considering that he was right about needing to see him more. He had me trapped and there was little I could do about it right now.

More people were losing their jobs from our company and it seemed like we were going to lose ours eventually too. That wasn't something that I needed added to my life, but what else could I have to do? I was going to call my father in order to get some advice from him, to get some information at least to find out what was happening.

Michael was seeming more and more distant from me as the days passed, but I couldn't blame him considering that I was doing the same. He was too busy trying to fix anything that was going wrong with the builds and I was trying to find the courage to tell him that I may be losing my job soon. He had to have known somehow.

I exhaled a breath as I finished up all the work I needed to do. I tap on the enter key and get out of my seat, grabbing my coat and bag in the process and making sure my station is okay before I go to leave. That was until I saw someone by the lift and I paused. Their back was facing me, but they tensed when they didn't hear anything behind them.

I didn't dare call out to them but instead took my phone out of my pocket and started texting my father's number until I heard the lift ping and the person walk into the lift where their face was illuminated by the lift's light. They waved at me and I realised it was someone from our floor, I exhaled a breath and waved back.

Paranoia was getting to me and it was stating to bug me, but I couldn't help it. I received another letter this morning and I haven't been anything but jumpy since I had gotten it. It was only a matter of time before something bad happened. I knew I couldn't live like this forever, just like I had hoped when I was with Cole.

Once again, he had entered my mind and it was driving me just as crazy as this paranoia was. I wanted out of all of this, just like I'm sure everyone else did. If this hadn't had happened before then it just had to have happened now. I remember sitting up all night and thinking about times like this, times when something shitty would happen...

But Cole was there to protect his Little Red.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

I leaned against the counter top where the sink was and watched as Cole stripped off his bloody shirt, my eyes trained on the huge blood stain on the shoulder of his shirt. A sigh left my lips and my heartbeat paced a little more as I watched the blood from his injury trickle down his arm, leaving a sinning path in its way.

Tears threatened to fall, but I pushed the burning feeling back and continued to watch my husband dress his wounds while I watched him. He knew what I was going to do, he knew I was going to end up yelling at him but what else would I do? I couldn't congratulate him on earning himself another injury.

"Cole." I started, but with one look from those hard eyes of his made me stop forming my next words. Instead, I pushed myself off the counter and headed towards the exit of the bathroom before my arm was grabbed by Cole's hand. I tried to pull it out of his grip but he only held on tighter, refusing to let me go.