c h a p t e r - t w e n t y o n e

Start from the beginning

"Cora, you alright?" I looked up at Cole from under my lashes and noticed his hard stare down at me, but behind that I could see the softening feeling he had underlying his words. I gave him a shaky smile and nodded, but he wasn't happy with it. Nonetheless, he turned around and went up the stairs.

We got to his room and I swear my heart leaped up at the sight of the bed. However, I woke up slightly quickly when I sensed him behind me. I froze and didn't dare to move any more, just waiting to see what would happen, what Cole would do and how far he would decide to push me. What I was surprised to find was that he didn't do anything, he stepped away from me.

"Sleep for a while, I'll go sort something out." It was distant, he was distant. We were two different people, with the starting feeling of lust in the air but we ignored it. I...I didn't know what to feel about this, but I nodded, deciding not to turn around and I stepped towards the bed. It was the same bed that Cole slept it.

I parted my lips to thank Cole, but when I turned around, he had already stepped out of the room, just leaving me standing there. My body swirled around and I eyed the bed, what was I going to change into? Why are you being so shy? He's seen you naked before, he's seen everything.

I closed my eyes and sighed, deciding that I was being too stupid and it was time for me to just get comfortable and go to sleep. Cole was with me, he was with me in his own house so I didn't have a lot to worry about, not that I had any use when it came to being under attack from rival gang members.

Taking my top off, I was left with the feeling of goosebumps appearing onto my skin and instantly, I felt my nipples harden. God, isn't he going to get the right idea when he comes back? I rolled my eyes at the stupidity my brain was through before shrugging off my jeans and quickly jumping into the bed.

I almost had to bite back a moan as I felt the warmth and comfort of the sheets comfort me in many ways. Instantly, sleep had collided itself onto me, bringing me the best type of darkness than I could have ever imagined. I was finally going to push my worries and thoughts away and get the best good night's sleep.

The things I could forget about: The call from my boss and the need to go into the office tomorrow and collect my things, the goodbye I would need to say to friends at work, the heartbreak I had given to Michael and the flowers I had received this morning.

Good. Night.

~*~*

Cole's P.O.V

I chuckled to myself when I watched Cora jump into the bed and fall asleep, a look of content on her face. It wasn't that I was a creep, watching my own wife get into my bed with matching piece of lingerie and fuzzy winter socks even though it was creeping into Spring time, I just had cameras set up on the perimeter of my house.

We couldn't be too sure of the threat that surrounded us, threatening us. I knew one thing for sure though, we were getting closer to the person that was behind all of this. We had camera footage, we had a list of our rivals and trust me when I say we were doing more than questioning them. The love of brothers and friends was more than enough for that job.

I picked up a file on my desk and opened it. It was Darcy's file, something about her made me want to look in to her file a little more. The way she was so forgiving was suspicious enough after all, I had given her a lot more than a job at one of my clubs. My eyes flickered to the screen where I watched Cora sleep.

She was safe with me. Fuck, she probably put all her trust into me again, which is why she probably could fall asleep so easily again. Nothing made me feel more comfortable than she did, knowing she was alright and trusting with me again. I looked down at the file again and didn't notice anything out of the unusual, apart from the prestigious family.

I swore I had seen her father's name from somewhere, but I couldn't be sure. I knew I would have to look for that after I picked up the call from my phone: Jessie. Her caller I.D was a picture of her and her little baby and instantly, a shitty feeling entered my body. Dread curled itself within me because I thought she would have found out that Nick was still alive.

"Yes?" I answered, closing the file before pushing my office chair towards my laptop. I could hear distant crying in the background and my heart clenched for my baby sister. She was more or less doing this on her own and it sucked so bad that I couldn't have her in my house. She was my baby sister for fuck's sake and I couldn't even take care of her.

"I can't deal with the crying, Cole." I heard her sniffled and I squeezed my eyes shut, leaning back in my chair. "I miss him, I miss him so much. It was supposed to be the two of us, you know? I was supposed to have my life with him, he was supposed to help me with the baby. I...I can't do it on my own. Mom and dad...I can't put this onto them, they've helped so much."

I heard her voice break at the end of the conversation and stories circled my mind. Jessie could develop all types of shit, especially in the state she was already in. I had to think of something really quickly, or I would be in more shit than I was in beforehand. Still, I was thinking about myself instead of my sister.

"Have you tried any of our other family members?" I said, trying to sound light and funny but I knew I was making shit worse."Okay, I'll tell you what. Come over tomorrow and I'll make sure I'll sort something with our shithead brothers, okay?" I heard her breathing in and out heavily, before she thanked me, her voice breaking again.

Looks like I was going to deal with more than I thought I was going to before.