Ch: 6 Out Of Shadowlands

Start from the beginning

“Oh Boy!” Edmund muttered, “I never did like owing up in front of Dad.”

We all laughed. “It is not like you are owing up for something wrong you did.” I reassured.

Mummy and Daddy, though surprised, believed us instantly. How could they not? They could easily see Narnia just across the mountains. Both were pleased to know that their children were Royalties and had borne their duties well but that did not prevent Mum from fretting and Dad to frown when we told them of the various battles we fought.

Once we were done with our tale, Mummy said, “I think this is the reason why all of you were so different when you returned from the countryside.” Then she said so quietly to herself that we would have not heard her but for our enhanced audibility, “I can’t believe I missed you all growing up.”

“Oh Mummy!” Lucy threw her hand around her neck.

Daddy, who had been quiet up until now, said, “At least your time in Narnia brought my son back to me.”

We all smiled at that and Edmund looked down sheepishly.

After that, we parted on a happy note. We knew that no matter where we go, we would never be too far away now.

Back in Narnia, we again took to meeting other people. Lucy went off with Mr. Tumnus. Professor Kirke and Aunt Polly went to meet their friends that included King Frank and Queen Helen. Eustace and Jill were talking animatedly to their friend Puddlegum the Marshwriggle.

This left Edmund and me wandering about. I had always been interested in History, especially Narnian, so I proposed that we meet some people from Narnia before our reign.

The first one we met was King Gale, the legendary King who had freed Lone Islanders off the Dragon.

He was a very jolly person and his friendliness hid the Warrior King he had been. We chatted with him for quite a long time before Edmund, much to my annoyance, suggested that Gale and I sparred.

I was a bit nervous at the idea of sparring with the King who had been given the chivalric title of Dragonslayer. A wolf was nothing compared to a Dragon then how could Wolfsbane stand against Dragonslayer.

Edmund, however, insisted so, I agreed and King Gale and I went off to an expanse of flat pasture.

I unsheathed Rhindon and King Gale unsheathed Tripund, the sword that had beheaded the Dragon.

Edmund handed us both a shield each.

“Where did you get it from?” I asked Ed, taking the Shield Father Christmas had given me. Taking it in my hands, I immediately knew that this was not the same one; rather, like everything else in this world, it was the better version of the same shield.

Ed shrugged and said, “I found them lying on the grass there.” He pointed at the place where Gale’s and my shield had magically appeared.

We were both lightly armored. I raised my shield and Rhindon while Gale did the same with Tripund and his shield. As we began circling each other, Edmund moved off away from us giving us space to spar properly.

“Never, while I was in Shadowlands did I expect to spar with the High King over all Kings of Narnia.” Gale said to me smiling.

I smiled and said, “Neither did I expect to spar with King Gale, the Dragonslayer.”

He laughed and I lunged.

Gale was quick to block my blow and return it with one of his. Swinging Rhindon in an upward arc, I blocked his next attack with my shield.