Loose Ends

The man glided down the desperately tedious Sanctuary corridors. He was finally going to avenge his father. He paid no attention to the mages that parted the sea of people around him. His mind was solely focused on his mission. He turned the corner, robes flapping behind him and finally walked into the room he had been going to. He paused in the doorway of the repository and scanned the room, with a meticulous eye. 

Of course he had heard what had happened, but that didn't stop him checking. His fingers slipped inside his pocket and pulled out the glass vial, filled with the thickest vermillion liquid. He grasped it tightly in his right hand. It was too precious to risk dropping in his left. 

He tried one final, desperate scan of the room. The armour wasn't here. He couldn't believe Sanguine had actually managed to steal the armour and come into the Sanctuary. That was just depressing for their security. His fingers nervously fingered the vial. He needed the armour for his plan to work.

He took a deep and calming breath and smothered his panic. His plan would still proceed unchallenged. No one knew what he was doing. It would all be fine. He just needed to figure out why Sanguine took the armour and where it was now. He tapped his finger against his lightly stubbled chin. 

Since Tanith left Sanguine for Ghastly, he seemed to want revenge since he escaped. If he still had the armour, he would have used it. He also couldn't possibly have know where Tanith was without a source. An idea burned bright in his mind. China. He would have traded the armour with China for Tanith's whereabouts. He smiled maliciously. That's where he would head next.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He hopped out of his car and began walking up to China's exquisite door. He paused when his feet crunched on something. He glanced down and saw a rough circle on the ground that was spiderwebbed and just the right size to fit a man and a large crate. He smirked. He was right.

He continued on, walked up the steps and was about to knock but the door opened before he could and he nearly punched China's face. He stopped just before he could but still itched to punch her nose. China simply looked at him unimpressed, but didn't looked at all fazed. She smiled at him. He just ignored the twist his gut made.

"To what do the pleasure? You don't usually visit." China inquired, purely business after seeing her magic wouldn't work on him. He looked at her exasperatedly.

"Your not an idiot China. Why do you think I'm here?" China looked at him. He knew if she were a lesser woman, she would be biting her lip right now. 

"Let's talk about this inside." He nodded and invited himself inside. China looked outside, seemingly paranoid, before shutting the door. She came inside and sat next to the man on the couch. 

"Your here for the armour aren't you?" China asked, not even bothering to hide her plain fear now. " The man nodded.

"Take it. I don't want it anymore. If you have it, he won't come after me." The man tilted his head.

"Who's coming after you?" He asked. China looked up at him, full of fear.

"Skulduggery. Skulduggery Pleasant. He- he's Lord Vile." China stuttered. "I saw it. I saw his name in the armour." The man just looked at her and smiled evilly.

"Well this changes everything." He whispered, still grinning. China looked at him fearful of him now.

"How can you be happy about this!?" She yelled. He laughed.

"Dear China. I was planning on resurrecting Vile to torture Skulduggery but now I don't need to! I can torture him mentally." China backed away.

"No one would believe you. You're insane. They wouldn't turn on him." 

"But they'll believe you." China frowned. 

"I'm not going to tell the world." The man reached inside his robes and pulled out a soulcatcher. China could see dark tendrils that looked like smoke swirl inside the dark pearl. It was full.

"Lucky I brought this then." China paled.

"You wouldn't! You're the-" But China was cut off because the remnant was prying it's way down her throat. She gagged and then black veins spread across her face and her eyes and lips turned black.

"I'm not who you think I am, China." The remnant raised an eyebrow. "If you tell the world Skulduggery's little secret, I'll get you a new and better owner.

The remnant scoffed. "New deal. If I tell the world, you let me bond to this host." The man shrugged.

"Doesn't make a difference to me. I'll notify you when you have to tell." 

"Agreed. May I ask why you of all people are doing this though. Isn't he your friend?" China questioned, the signs of possession disappearing. 

The man stopped walking away and looked back. "He's not my friend. He killed my father. His last words to me were to make sure Skulduggery's life was a living hell." China looked at him.

"You really aren't who we thought you were." He nodded, grinning like a maniac. China watched as he walked away, messy hair tossing in the breeze and the light glinting off those golden eyes.

Fandom: No! Not- not again! I can't handle it if it happens again!

Ali: Mwhahahahaha! This is what happens when I get inspiration and listen to Halsey songs and the Lord Vile playmix! Be afraid, be very afraid. Ooooh! A toastie!

Fandom: Your abandoning us for a toastie?

Ali: It's bocconcini and pepperoni. Besides, I'll be back. 

Fandom: We're all doomed.

Ali: Check out these songs for the Skulduggery Pleasant Character theme songs.

Lord Vile: Mine is Killer by The Hoosies.

Darquesse: Mine is Devil Within. Don't know who it's by.

Dexter: I'm definitely Young Blood.

Ravel: I'm probably Left Behind or Warriors.

Skulduggery: I'm Back From The Dead by Skillet.

Serpine: I'm Red Right Hand.

Skulduggery: We all know what colour your hand is idiot.

Serpine: No that's my song!

Tanith Low: I'm Gives You Hell.

Valkyrie: I'm Gasoline by Halsey, Or Control by Halsey.

Mevolent: Theme songs are for the weak.

Valkyrie: Guys! We have a new mission! Find out Mev's theme song.

Mev: I will throttle you.

Valkyrie: Pfffff.