12. saturday night, november 2003

Start from the beginning

"Oh, hello Charlotte." Her grandma smiled. Alex looked at Luna who's eyes were closed in embarrassment.

"Hello, grandma." She fake smiled back before turning to Alex. "She calls me by my middle name because she hates the name mum chose." She explained quietly as her grandma walked over to the table.

"Harry, you look very handsome." She complimented. Harry stood up and kissed her on her cheek hello. "Who's this?" She asked.

"Our mate, Alex." Harry introduced. Alex stood up and held out his hand.

"Pleasure to meet ya." He passed her a crooked smile and watched as she stared at his hand confused.

"I thought this was a family dinner, Julia." She yelled over to their mum. Alex took his hand back, not feeling wanted.

"Alex is family." Luna stuck up for him. Her grandma looked over at Luna and sighed. Alex couldn't be more uncomfortable. He watched the old woman sit down across from him and turned his attention to a hand coming his way.

"Nice to meet you, son." The man said. Alex took his hand and shook it firmly. Out of the corner

"And you." He replied before sitting back down in his chair. He turned to look at Luna, he could tell she was angry.

Julia brought over a big chicken, some potatoes and veg. It smelled amazing. His mouth watered slightly as she started to cut it up but he noticed her hands were shaking.

"So, Julia. How's work?" The woman asked. Julia let everyone serve themselves the veg and potatoes as she sat down.

"Great. I'm up for a promotion soon." She said.

"That's great, mum." Harry complimented. Alex could tell they desperately wanted their mum to feel alright, it hurt his heart to see them like this.

"Good. Since you're the breadwinner now." Their grandma pointed out. He watched as Julia took swallowed hard and poured herself a glass of water from the jug.

They all started eating. Alex, Luna and Harry all complimented the food as if it were a gourmet meal.

"So, Alex. Your Penny's kid aren't ya?" Julia started. Alex nodded. "I saw her not long ago at the bakery, is she doing well?" She asked, trying to make things less awkward around the table.

"Yeah, she's doing fine. Thanks for asking." He replied politely.

"And you go to school with Charlotte and Harry?" The woman piped up. Alex tried not to show the fear as he turned his eyes to him.

"My name's Luna." Luna said before he could answer. She ignored her, waiting for Alex's answer.

"Yeah, I do." He answered, placing a potato in his mouth. "Great potatoes, Julia." He complimented. Luna smiled.

"Ava, sweetie, what year are you in now?" She turned her attention to the preferred grandchild.

"Eleven." She answered. "GCSE year." They nodded.

"I'm sure you'll do amazingly." They complimented.

"If she works hard she'll get there." Julia added. The woman turned to look at her reluctantly.

"But if she doesn't we will still love her." She said as if that wasn't implied. Julia's mouth opened but closed almost immediately.

"Luna, darling, why don't you go and get the dessert you made while I clear up?" She asked. Luna nodded and left.

"Such a ridiculous name, Julia." She muttered. Julia clashed two plates together.

"Simon loved it." She pointed out.