Part 5

Dahlia's POV

I spent the rest of the afternoon sitting on the bed in the room the Queen set aside for me thinking about what just happened with me and the prince. I had forgotten about the boy who I stumbled on all those years ago and left. That boy...was Prince Remington? How is it possible I didn't notice before? How did he keep my father's scarf all this time since then? The way he reacted when he realized who I was made me assume he's been waiting to see me again as if he was beyond grateful for what I did.

When he was so close to me, I was afraid I would pass out from my heart beating so fast, being so close to such an important and beautiful future like him I could feel his warmth which was overwhelming. The way he smiled at me and kissed my hand made me feel something that was unlike anything I've ever experienced in my life. Was I acting like this because he was a prince? Or because I feel like he was being more than nice to me? I couldn't help but smile at the memory of our bodies so close to each other like we were something...more.

While running these thoughts in my brain, I heard something coming from another room. It sounded like music. From a piano. I got up from the bed and stepped out of my room to follow the beautiful sounds being made. The castle was so vast and big, it was like a labyrinth. It was both confusing and amazing to be walking in a place like this. I wonder how the princes got used to such a big place like this and discovered every single room to exist here.

I passed a doorway and then went back when my eye caught sight of Prince Remington sitting on the stool of a grand piano in what I assumed was a music room filled with various instruments. His hands were playing the keys and his eyes focused solely on the notes he was playing. It was fascinating to watch him play and make such beautiful music, I ended up leaning my arm against the doorway and stayed to watch him continue playing.

There was something about Remington that made him even more special now that I remember I once stopped him from bleeding out. The face of the boy I ran into when I was a little girl had grown into a man, but his gentle and kind nature never aged. He was such more than a prince to me now. He was...a kind and gentle soul. His looks could fool you making you believe he might be egotistical, but his heart seems much bigger than his pride and something told me that seemed to be his biggest problem.

"What are you doing?", I heard a voice behind me asking and I gasped in surprise as I turned to see a boy who was wearing a strange, ancient hat and dressed like a pirate. He looked at me in curiosity and I noticed Remington had caught me and the other boy standing in the doorway and then stood up to walk to where we were. I felt so embarrassed, I wished I weren't here right now.

"Emerson", Remington said to the boy, "What are you doing here with Dahlia?" Emerson shook his head and replied with, "Nothing, Rem. I just found her standing here and looking at you playing." My mouth fell agape as this boy made me look like a stalker, and when I glanced nervously at Remington, he gave me a small smirk and arched a brow, making me blush furiously at his amusement.

"Dahlia", he stated and gestured to Emerson, "This is my younger brother, Emerson. Emerson, this is Dahlia, my new friend." I felt my veins grow cold and my blush deepening after hearing him refer to me as his friend, like it wasn't informal at all to be friends with a simple girl like me. "Hello, Dahlia", Emerson greeted me while holding  out his hand for me to shake. I took it and said back, "Hello, Prince Emerson." He gave me a small smile which I thought was cute and then Remington asked me, "So., Dahlia..what were you doing watching me over there?"

I gasped in shock and watched him smirk in amusement to my flustered state. I looked at my feet and tucked some hair behind my ear before answering, "I, uh...I was listening to your music and I just thought it was really pretty so I wanted to listen better. I didn't mean to invade your privacy or anything."

I felt two gentle fingers under my chin lift my head up to find Remington look into my eyes with a beautiful smile. "You didn't do anything of the sort", he spoke so softy as his eyes were locked onto mine, "It's nice to know someone else appreciates my passion for music." I could hear my own heart beat so fast, I was afraid he could hear it too. "I-I have to go", I excused myself before he could see me look like a flustered mess and I went back up to my room and locked the door.

What in good God was happening? Prince Remington is treating me like a normal person and not acting above me like I expected him to. Why was he being so nice to me? And why do I feel like this every time he gets close to me? I didn't have much time as a kind maid knocked on my door and announced that dinner would be served in fifteen minutes. She advised that formal attire is necessary and there are dresses in my closet for me to choose.

That made me curious and so I walked over to my closet and opened it to see many gorgeous gowns and dresses. I've never even seen my mother make dresses like these, and I felt a bit self-conscious about wearing something so elegant. But, I wanted to respect the Queen's wishes. I let in the maid who was a kind woman a little older than me who was so kind and patient with me when it came to dressing formally which I never did before.

"How come?", she asked and I casually shrugged as I answered, "I've never been invited or allowed to go to anything so formal." She looked a little sad for me, but then she smiled and said, "Well, I'm here to help you blossom. My name is Sophie, in case you wanted to know." I smiled back and said, "I'm Dahlia." I picked a dress that looked so pretty and simple and I believed I would look nice in.

" I picked a dress that looked so pretty and simple and I believed I would look nice in