Chapter Twenty-Two - What Black Said

Start from the beginning

"Why would there be?" Dumbledore asked.

"I know a--a lot of people th-think the houses sh--should stay apart..."

"There's nothing wrong with house pride, my boy; and there's nothing wrong with befriending those in other houses."

"I--I'm not... f--friends... really..."

Dumbledore made a noncommittal noise as they reached the top and went down the short corridor to his door. He opened it up, allowing Remus to go in first. The phoenix gave a squawk when they came in and Dumbledore smiled, going over to stroke the bird's feathered head. "There's also nothing wrong with having friends, Mr. Lupin."

"There is when you're like me," he couldn't help retort then blushed at saying such a thing to the headmaster.

Dumbledore just glided over to his desk and sat down in his chair, motioning for Remus to sit in one of the chairs in front of it. He sat down, scuffing the toes of his shoes against the ground as he tried to sort out how to bring up what he needed to. "Your parents have always pressed upon you the need to stay hidden and secret, haven't they?" Dumbledore asked before Remus could figure out the right words.

"Of c-course, Professor... I--I have to! It's--they're n-not wrong about that!"

"No, no," the headmaster agreed. "I'm not saying they are. However... you can have friends and still keep your secret."

Remus didn't really have anything to say to that. They'd find out, even if I never told them which I wouldn't. They'd figure it out. He wasn't human and he was a bit surprised nobody had seen through his facade already. "Professor, my--my question is about--the house."

"Which house? Gryffindor?" Dumbledore asked though he clearly already knew what Remus meant.

"N--no, the one in... Hogsmeade. It is in Hogsmeade, isn't it?" he asked and Dumbledore nodded. "P--Professor, when I f-first went there I assumed it--it was out in the woods wh-where nobody could hear me. Honestly, I w-wasn't sure why it wasn't j--just a cement r--room underground. But in Hogsmeade?"

"Yes," Dumbledore said rather merrily. "Is something wrong with that?"

Remus just stared at the headmaster realizing finally why everyone called him a bit off his rocker. "There's everything wrong with that!" he burst out, unable to stop himself from having a scathing tone in his voice. "People can hear me! They have heard me! There were students discussing it at supper today, saying it was just built and already very haunted and--and wondering if anyone's gone to the Ministry since they think it's dark magic--which it is, Professor, it is, it's me and it's--they'll--it'll--" He ran out of steam and just gave a tiny wail, covering his face as he pictured the Werewolf Capture Unit storming the school.

"Are you finished?" Dumbledore asked and Remus nodded. "They haven't heard just you, Mr. Lupin. Despite what some people may say about me, I'm not entirely stupid. I've put some enchantments on the place and during the nights occasionally the townspeople will hear the same sort of screams and howls you make. It's been going on since August, and as I said--happens throughout the month and not just during the full moon."

Remus felt himself shrinking down into a tiny speck. "Oh," was all he managed to say.

"I put it in Hogsmeade because a house in the forest would be even more suspicious. Hardly anyone goes in, however sooner or later someone would hear about it or find it, and the Ministry would definitely get involved."

"Oh."

"Also I didn't want to just put you in a dark cement room underneath the Willow because that's just child abuse."