However, before she could respond, the two heard the distant sound of the front door's bell chime. Almost as though a switch was flipped inside Rosa, the little girl's shoulders straightened, and her gaze moved back to the floor. 

"Never mind," she muttered and stepped away from Jenny.

"No, wait, Rosa. Why did you want to-"

Jenny didn't get to finish asking her question, as she heard the loud clicking of heels against the marble staircase. She straightened and turned to see an elderly woman walking towards them, grey hair in a tight bun.

For someone who had reached the age of retirement, Mrs Jenkins looked remarkable. Her shoulders were square, walk brisk, and her jacket showed the well-tended state of her figure. But her face was a firm, solid expression with dark eyes that glanced at Jenny.

"You must be my replacement," the woman stated, her voice as strong as her face.

Jenny blinked at her tone before giving a small smile. "Yes, ma'am. You must be Mrs Jenkins. Pleasure to meet you," she said and offered her hand to the woman.

Mrs Jenkins perfectly plucked eyebrows pulled together as she stared at the offered hand. After an awkward moment of silence, Jenny's arm returned to her side.

The old woman's sharp eyes moved to the young girl standing a small distance behind Jenny. "Good morning, Rosa."

"Morning, Mrs Jenkins," Rosa responded in a meek voice, which did not go unnoticed by Jenny.

"Stand up straight and speak nicely, Rosa," the woman barked. 

Rosa instantly straightened her posture.

Jenny frowned at the exchange and turned to look back at Mrs Jenkins.

"Why haven't you started practising the piano yet, Rosa?" the woman questioned, and Rosa swallowed the lump in her throat with a quiet gulp.

"It's my day off, Mrs Jenkins," she replied, and the woman narrowed her eyes.

"There is no such thing as a day off when your future is in mind, child. Now get going," she said and gestured to the staircase. 

Rosa bit her lip as she glanced at Jenny for a moment before walking in the direction of the stairs.

Jenny's eyes slowly gravitated towards the old woman. The retired housekeeper was used to giving orders. 

The woman's dark eyes returned her gaze for a moment before she turned and made her way down the staircase, her heeled shoes clicking against the marble as she walked.

Jenny looked to the side when Isabella walk up to her. Pushing away the feeling the woman gave her, she crouched down to straighten her niece's scarf. She then took the card and memorized the number before shredding the paper and throwing it in the bin.

"Are you ready?" she asked.

Isabella responded with a nod, and Jenny grabbed her small, gloved hand before leading her out of the room.

The swirling sound of music filled the penthouse as they descended the staircase, and Jenny looked ahead to see Rosa seated in front of the grand piano, her small fingers scuttling along the white keys in the motion of a scale. Mrs Jenkins loomed over her as she watched her practise.

"I'll see you later, Rosa," Jenny called to the small girl who's feet didn't even touch the ground.

She noticed her fingers pause for the briefest moment before continuing to play. She didn't look up from her hands.