Chapter 11

"Alright, here we are, Jenny," Alfredo stated as he knocked on the open door to Jenny's room.

Jenny looked up from her task of placing bobby pins in Isabella's hair to see the offered black card in Alfredo's hand. "Oh, thank you, Alfredo. If you don't mind just putting it on the table there," she said as she gestured to the table near the door.

She would have been polite and taken the card from him, but her fingers were currently threaded in her young niece's dark locks, arranging them into a French braid.

"The PIN is on the paper with it," Alfredo said, and Jenny nodded her gratitude as he turned and left the room, his heavy footsteps receding down the hallway.

The young woman's attention returned to the task at hand as she grabbed the hairbrush.

Having one's hair brushed was a simple pleasure often forgotten by the world. There was just something so soothing about having a brush stroke through your hair. Jenny always made a point of doing her niece's hair for just that reason. It seemed to brush all the problems away with it.

And Jenny has always loved Isabella's hair that she couldn't resisted playing with it. It was always so full of life, and the darkness of her tresses could almost possess a blue hue if the lighting was right. So much better than her aunt's plain chocolate brown.

Isabella hummed a tune that Jenny often used to sing to her as she sat patiently with her eyes closed and shoulders relaxed. Jenny was doing the finishing touches when a soft knock reached their ears. She glanced towards the door, and her fingers paused when she noticed Rosa standing there, her gaze to the floor and hands clenched in tiny fists.

"Miss Jenny?" Rosa asked, her voice strangely timid as she shifted her weight to one foot.

"Yes, Rosa?" she asked as she twirled a band around the end of the braid.

Rosa's gaze slowly moved from her feet, and her sapphire eyes locked on the movements of Jenny's hands. She watched the woman fasten the band and lay the braid over Isabella's shoulder before trying to find her voice.

"Um," she hesitated.

When Jenny heard the hesitancy, she turned her full attention towards the young girl. "What is it, Rosa?"

Rosa shifted her weight to her other foot, and her eyes moved to Isabella for the briefest moment before looking back at Jenny. Realizing that the little girl didn't want an audience, Jenny tapped her niece's shoulder and suggested she use the restroom before they leave. Isabella nodded and climbed off of the bed before making her way to the bathroom, closing the door behind her.

Jenny then stood up from the bed and walked to the little girl before crouching down in front of her. 

"What's wrong, Rosa?" she urged, her voice as gentle as a lamb.

Rosa hesitantly licked her lips as her hands balled into fists then uncurled. "Miss Jenny, could I ... I mean, is it possible for me to ...?"

Jenny's concern grew. Although she's only been here a day, she knew that this was out of character for Nathan's daughter. "Rosa, you know you can tell me anything," she said and offered her an encouraging smile.

Rosa observed the comforting smile offered to her and took a deep breath. "Can ... I come with you?"

Jenny stared at her a little dumbfounded She had not expected her to ask that. She didn't know what to expect, but it certainly wasn't that. She thought Rosa would be happy that they would be gone for a few hours.

Jenny opened her mouth, but nothing came out as she stared at the small girl flabbergasted. Of course, she would love for Rosa to come with them, but they had already made arrangements to have someone look after her. It would be extremely rude to cancel on such short notice.