CHAPTER ONE

Elise had always known she was a Slytherin. Despite her parent's protesting, claiming that the sorting hat had made a mistake; she knew it hadn't, the sorting hat didn't make mistakes. When she had been sorted, her parents had been horrified. As their only child, it was expected that they would be happy for her to even be accepted into Hogwarts but as soon as the news broke of her sorting, their pride was shattered. Her golden family had just become a little bit more silver.

It had come to the point that Elise even had to hide her Slytherin uniform. Anything with Slytherin colours from school was banished into the garden and on many occasions, Elise had thought that was where she would soon end up as well.

"Elise. How many times have I told you, you do not leave your uniform lying around? We can't have your father seeing it, imagine his horror. You do remember what happened last time don't you?" Elise nodded, keeping her head down to avoid her mothers glare. She remembered all too well what had happened when her father stumbled across her Slytherin uniform only a few months ago. She had been upstairs packing her trunk to return to Hogwarts for her final term of that year when she knew something was wrong, she could feel it in the atmosphere. Her usually loud house was silent, not a single voice or movement existed in the whole house. When she finally found the courage to investigate, she found her father laying downstairs on the floor without a heartbeat. After visiting the local muggle hospital she discovered that he had experienced a heart attack from the shock, simply seeing her Slytherin tie was enough to stop his heart pumping blood around his body, it was enough to almost kill him, enough to make Elise extra vigilant about the location of her uniform.

"I'll move it, mother." She couldn't bear the thought of anything happening to her father, especially in his current state. Elise dropped her stack of books on their kitchen counter, quickly scooping up the pile of uniform and placing it on top of the stack before lifting the stack in her arms.

"Elise just take two trips for Merlin's sake. You're going to get yourself hurt and I'm not interested in looking after anybody else in this family." Her mother gave her a disapproving glance before collecting two mugs from the cupboard and, with one flick of her wand, filling them up to the brim with hot cocoa. "I'll be with your father Elise, have yourself packed by tonight, please. If you could take yourself to King's Cross it would be marvellous-"

"I can't." Elise found herself rolling her eyes at her mother.

"Yes well, since you can't I have to do it and I don't have the time." Her mother wasn't the most affectionate of people, even driving Elise to the train station seemed too big a task for her. "Looking after your father is a big enough job already, I can't be looking after you as well." Her mother didn't say another word, she didn't have to. Since her father's heart attack, everything had changed in their family, she barely felt part of it anymore. Elise watched as her mother left the kitchen, almost wishing she could be clung onto her arm again, following beside her like when she was a child. She missed her mother.

Elise took the pile of books and uniform into her bedroom, dropping them onto her bed immediately once she entered. Her mother was right, she should have taken two trips. Elise stretched out her fingers in an attempt to relieve the cramping in them before collapsing onto the bed beside her books.

She knew she needed to pack, if she didn't not only would she have to do it in the morning, she would also have to deal with the wrath of her mother. Elise pulled her wand from her pocket as she hesitantly sat up on her be. "Wingardium Leviosa." She waved her wand and watched as her pile of books took itself over to her trunk and slotted into one of the many gaps inside, her uniform quickly following suit. Elise was a light packer, lighter than everyone she shared a dorm with which she had quickly noticed as the years went on and their areas got messier whilst hers remained the same. She liked order in her life where order could be achieved and packing was certainly one of those areas.