Ch 15 - Settling Papa

Start from the beginning

She felt him kiss the top of her head before he leant back, taking her with him. "I am glad to be 'ere wiz you again. It was wondairful seeing my 'ome and being wiz la mia famiglia. But I missed ma leetle Rosannah."

They sat in comfortable silence, their frequent letters had been truthful and detailed, and there would be plenty of time to talk about the events of the last few weeks, for now Rosannah simply sought the balm of his presence. Familiar feelings of peacefulness and relief hummed through her as they watched out the window and enjoyed the beauty before them.

The sound of the tea tray being set down startled both of them, so lost in the moment.

"Sorry yer Grace," the maid said fretfully, "I did not intend to alarm you."

"No Alice, do not worry. We were just mesmerised by the beauty of the gardens. Thank you for the tea. We shall be finished shortly and then I will take Maestro to his rooms. I trust his trunks have all been set there safely?"

"Yes M'um." Alice nodded her head.

"Wonderful, you may go, I'll see to the tea myself." She smiled at the servant girl, a similar age to herself and wondered anew at the differences between two people, just because they were born into different families, different places.

After their tea Rosannah guided Maestro to his rooms. As they walked along the long corridors she asked him what the last letter he had received from her had been.

"I received the lettair you wrote on ze morning of your wedding day, and then no more. I am glad he 'as been good to you. You deserve so much more zan you 'ave been given my love."

She squeezed his arm, "I do not know about that Papa, but I do know I am incredibly fortunate indeed. It is a love match and I never imagined how wonderful it would be."

"Oh yes, I know zat. Love is indescribable no? My wife, oh she stole my 'eart, my breath, my sanity." He sounded forlorn and her heart tightened in her chest.

It had been an Englishwoman that had brought him here in the first place and they had been extraordinarily happy, but she had died in childbirth along with their only child, a daughter. Rosannah knew it was one of the reasons he had let their relationship develop in such an unsuitable manner. She would have been the same age as his daughter had she lived.

"Papa," she breathed, "I am sorry. Now I am married to Henry I understand more fully how terrible it must have been for you."

Her heart constricted at the thought of losing Gray, even in fiction it seemed too terrible to bear.

He patted her hand, "Zank you mia figlia. It was a long time ago now, though I miss them every day, the knife; it is not so sharp."

"Henry will not be put in the same position." She said hurriedly, desperate to share her sad news.

Maestro looked down on her with raised eyebrows.

"The doctor examined me after Henry discovered how my mother and father disciplined me," Rosannah felt his body tense, he had always tried to tell her it was not normal, but she had not believed him. She just felt maybe his Italian heritage meant it was different for him.

"He said that..." she took a deep breath to try and stop the trembling breath, "... he thinks it unlikely I will be able to bear any children. The damage is too great."

A rogue tear trailed down her cheek and she wiped at it furiously. "Henry has been truly wonderful, I do not deserve it. I know how fortunate I am to have him and I am trying to only think positively, but, b.b.b..but I had ssssso wanted t.t.to have a fffamily of my own."