VII

Jenna awoke abruptly, her body still ached as it continued to heal, but that would have to wait.  Before Jenna, Lana was hovering over her disconnecting the IV she had inserted into Jenna's arm not an hour before.  Jenna blinked.  Then rasped, "What's going on?" 

Lana ignored Jenna question as she quickly detached her leads following the IV.  Then she pushed Jenna up into a seated position, to which Jenna protested.  Then Lana wrapped an arm around Jenna's waist and yanked her out of bed pulling her with her down the hallway.  Jenna's body protested but she didn't make another sound because she knew that something terrible was about to happen.  She just knew it deep down in her gut, and what she feared the most was that her return to the Savage pack.  A chilled shiver ran down her spine and her shoulders quivered at the thought.

In front of a large portrait in the dimly lit hallway, Lana stopped and tilted the portrait.  This caused the wall behind the portrait to open and Lana hurriedly rushed Jenna inside.  Inside, the room was pitch black.  Shelves of emergency goods lines the walls.  Cobwebs darkened the corners. 

Lana touched the inside of the wall next to where the wall and allowed them entrance and said nothing as it closed, sealing them safely inside.

Jenna's stomach pitched with fear and despair swirling within the depths of her being.  "They have come for me, haven't they?" Jenna whispered hoarsely.

Lana looked back at Jenna, despite not being able to see clearly in the dark room.  She embraced Jenna.  "Jenna, " she whispered into her ear, "I will protect you until my last dying breath."

Jenna nodded, admiring the female doctor.  If she only had a tenth of her courage, maybe she wouldn't have endured all that she had.  Maybe her pack would not have become such a powerful entity if the pack members stood up against the ruthlessness and depravity.  -But the pack was beaten down into quiet submissiveness.  No one uttered a word in difference. No one thought of rebellion.  Every member of the pack quietly obeyed and submitted to the authority of the Alpha and the Luna.  The Alpha's word was law and anything who disobeyed was tortured beyond belief.  To disagree, to stand up against them was to ask for an agonizing death.

It was then that Jenna backed herself as small as she could towards the back of the room.  She didn't utter a word but her body language told Lana, she was terrified about what was to happen next.  Jenna curled her body against the furthest wall and sat there unmoving, barely breathing.  Lana went to her and putting her hands on Jenna's arms said, "I won't let them take you back. I promise, Jenna."  Then she embraced Jenna again and they awaited for the terror they knew awaited them.  

Minutes of silence passed by.  Neither one of them spoke a word.  In fact, they barely breathed.  Time wore on as each second began to feel like minutes and then hours, as Jenna anticipated her pack taking her back.  

Shouts could now be heard inside the pack house and pack members could be heard running either to or from the threat.  

A loud snarl sounded stopping Jenna's rapid heart.   He was here.  For her.  No, it wasn't her mate, that she was sure of.  It was from her Alpha.  

"Where is she?!"  He roared, the sound of his roar reverberated off the great ceiling and walls, trembling the floor beneath her.  

Words were returned, but Jenna could not hear what was being said.  Then the next thing she could hear were the  thundering crashes that she knew were two Alphas fighting.  The noise grated against her nerves, fear for the safety of Kenan, lit a fire within her weak bones.  She gripped the arm of Lana's embrace and shoved her away.

"No," Lana whispered, pulling Jenna back.  

Jenna yanked back her arm.  "I cannot stand by!" 

"Yes, you have too!" 

Jenna stood pacing.  "No, you don't know the Alpha like I do.  He will kill him!  I cannot stand by that happens! I won't!"  

Jenna rushed to the wall where they entered and franctically ran her hands over the walls.  "Please!" she cried, searching for the one device that would let her out.  She frantically hurried her hands until she found the indent in the wall.  Lana rushed and grabbed her wrist before Jenna would open the door.  

"Jenna!  Think about what you are doing! For his sake, please don't open that door!" Lana pleaded, but it was too late. Jenna had already made up her mind.  She wouldn't let Kenan die because of who she was and who she belonged to.  She would return to him... she may die at his claws, but at least Kenan would not. Her heart couldn't bear the guilt or the shame "of cowardice.

Jenna paused for a split-second, but reconciled herself to her fate.  "Please, let him know, I just couldn't stand by and watch him die."  Then she pressed her thumb against the indent and the door opened wide.  

Her heart beat widely as she raced down the hallway, and down the stairs to where the two Alphas stood aggressively opposite of each other.  

It wasn't too late!

"I'm here!  I'm here!  Please stop!"  she begged as she raced down the stairs, mindful of her feet, lest her fall. 

The Alpha of the Savage pack, leaned over ready to pounce.  His grey fur matted against the ugly complexion of his ghastly muscles.  Saliva dripped from his canines, ready to injure the other Alpha.  To the side of him, Jenna saw the Luna.  Her black feather dress glistened.  The Luna glared at Jenna, a sneer lifting the corner of her mouth to show the very sharp canine at the corner of her mouth.

Jenna stopped at the base of the stairs and took stock of Kenan in his wolf form as he prepared to defend her.    Jenna ran her hand over his silver fur, "Please don't fight for me.  I can't bear the guilt."  Kenan growled lowly.  

The Alpha laughed eeriely, "Yes, listen to the bitch.  You cowardly mutt, disgrace of an Alpha.  You should not bear the title!"

Kenan lept forward, biting the shoulder of the Alpha, ignoring Jenna's pleading.  

"No!" She screamed.

The two Alphas rolled in a fury of animalistic growls, claw ripped and slicing, teeth gnashing and biting.  

Jenna didn't think but did the only thing she could do.  "Stop!  I'll go with you!  Just please stop!" she cried out.  "I promise I'll never leave!"  She ran to the Savage Alpha the moment they broke apart.  Kenan trembled before the hybrid Alpha.  Not giving in, but barely standing.  Blood dripping down his side from the deep gouges of the Alpha's insidious claws.

Lana screamed from the top of the stairwell, "Jenna don't!  It is better to die than to go with him!"

Jenna turned around to look at Lana, the sight of the bloodied appear of the devil-like beast imprinted within her mind.  "But if I don't... you all will."  Then she turned back to her Alpha.  

He smirked with a bloodied muzzle and glistening teeth, bloodied drool dripping onto the floor.  Then he flexed his paw and struck Jenna's face with his sharp claws.  "The mark of betrayal, breeder.  Now everyone will know what betrayal you have committed against the Savage Pack."  He sneered and his uttered words seem to cut the wounds even deeper.

Jenna fell from the force of the strike, her face on fire.  Hot liquid ran down her face.  She knew that blood ran down her face, but despite the agony, she couldn't find the strength to even utter a sound other than a pained whimper.

Kenan snarled at what the Alpha had done as Lana screamed, "Jenna!"  Lana ran down the stairs ready to grab Jenna, but Kenan stood in the way.  

"Get out of my way, Kenan!  I won't let the bastard take her!"  Lana shouted.

But still Kenan did not move, just stared helplessly at Jenna's bleeding face.  He would never forget her look of despair and the look of when she accepted her fate and her eventual death.