Beneath the Surface

Start from the beginning

Everyone in the Underworld had known who I was when they caught sight of the gloves.

While lost in my thoughts, Mey Rin had fitted a corset around my middle and pulled me from my own mind as she said cheerily, "All right, my lady. Hold onto the armoire there. This will only take a minute, yes!"

I did as she instructed, and before I had time to react, she pulled on the two strings of the corset, cinching the garment around my waist so tightly that I lost my breath for a moment or two. "Shit!" I swore under my breath, the loss of breath almost making me yelp the word loud enough for Mey Rin to hear. She pulled again, yanking on the lacing as she deftly and quickly wove the ends up through the corset in an intricate pattern, tightening as she worked upwards.

She finished and stood back, observing her handiwork. She clapped her hands and squealed, "Oh, my lady! You have the tiniest waist, you do! So petite!"

I leaned on the armoire for a second longer, catching my breath, and then straightened, trying to get used to the feeling of my ribs being bound so tightly to my body that I thought they might pop through my skin at any moment due to the pressure. I grimaced slightly, trying to hide my discomfort from Mey Rin. Come on, (F/N). Play the part. Noblewomen apparently don't need to breathe, so neither do you.

Mey Rin practically skipped to the wardrobe and threw open the door for the second time that morning, the loud bang of the wood hitting the wall reverberating around the room. She reached inside, rummaging around in the dozens of brightly colored dresses, before exclaiming excitedly, "Here they are, yes! These will look lovely on you, Lady Bellamy!" She pulled out two dresses and held one in either hand, and I imagined her eyes were gleaming with anticipation behind her thick glasses as she waved them around before me, her voice shrill from excitement as she said, "Which would you like to pick? They'll both compliment you beautifully of course! That pale, flawless skin!" She practically swooned as she motioned to my face and bare shoulders.

I bit my tongue as I looked at the dresses she held up for me to evaluate. Neither was my style. Hell, I hadn't worn a dress since I was probably five years old. I was much more at home in a pair of trousers. I berated myself silently. Just pick one. You have to wear one. Just get it over with and stop dragging it on.

I glanced between the two dresses again, biting my lip as I tried to decide which was the lesser of two evils.

They were both long, draping to the floor in elegant folds, but the first was made out of a heavy brocade fabric, ruby in color, inlaid around the bodice with shimmers of gold and silver thread criss crossing in elegant patterns. The pattern snaked suggestively around the waist, meant to hug and accentuate the curves of the wearer no doubt, and ended at the hips, giving way to the full skirt, which was gathered at the left side, cascading down the hip and leg in waves, much like a waterfall, to the feet.

I moved my gaze to the other dress that Mey Rin held aloft. It was made of a lighter fabric than the first, what appeared to be a pink chiffon, delicately covered with a layer of cream lace. The bodice was beaded, not heavily, but enough that it caught the light when moved, and the waist was encircled with a pink ribbon. The full skirt rippled in the light from the window, the pink fabric beneath the lace flashing through every now and then, and whereas the other dress was gathered, this dress fell naturally to the floor, held in no such formation.

I rolled my eyes, trying not to let Mey Rin see my agitation, and finally, flicked a finger begrudgingly at the pink dress. "This one will be fine, Mey Rin."

Mey Rin nodded and placed the crimson dress back into the wardrobe, shutting the door before she turned back to me, slipping the chosen dress off of its hanger carefully. "You will look lovely in this, yes." She pooled the dress out around my feet and held the neck wide so that I could step into the opening she had made.