31-40

Chapter 31 : New Year's Gift (2)

This year's gifts from Hebei, in addition for the Duke of the State, they were also given to the Old Madam and Yuchen. The Old Madam received a longevity crutch, which was created using a very rare and precious wood, only available in Chengde, Hebei Province. Its wood was white and flawless, delicate as jade, and had the reputation of false ivory.

Yuchen got a hanging screens of wood carved with flower and bird pictures. The flowers and birds on the hanging screen were like living ones, and the engraving was very delicate.

Yuchen loved this thing very much. Not only was it unique, but more importantly, it was given by her father. Over the years, she would receive gifts at the festivals and birthdays. Every time she got something, she would hang it up, and this time was no exception.

Yuxi had Hongshan, the spy who reports on person's doings, who was very clear about the great events happening in the residence. Soon she knew about Yuchen got a pair of hanging screens.

Hongshan actually didn't want to tell Yuxi that the Third Miss got present from Master, while her Miss got none. If her Miss knew, she definitely would not feel comfortable. Since Yuxi herself asked her, she could not say no.

In her previous life, Yuxi had been saddened by this matter for a long time, but now, she didn't take it seriously, "There is nothing rare in the capital, as long as you have money, you can buy it. It's good of you to say that in front of me."

Hongshan carefully looked at Yuxi's eyes and found that she was not sad. This made her dared to say, "Miss, I don't think this is the Master's idea, but the Third Madam's." She hoped Yuxi would not resent the Third Master. After all, the Third Master was her father, and her Miss would surely depend on her father in the future.

Yuxi smiled and said, "It doesn't matter whose idea it was. Apart from this, is there anything else going on inside the residence these two days? "

Hongshan shook her head and said, "The residence has been quiet these days. Nothing happened."

Hearing this, Yuxi did not respond and turned to look at her qipu. Now, she read the qipu whenever she had time and played chess while reading it. She alone played for two people. This made her forgot to eat and sleep. According to Moju and others, their Miss had already been possessed by the Devil.

Mama Shen looked at Hongshan coming out from the room and asked in a low voice, "Did Miss say anything?"

Hongshan knew that if she said that Miss didn't care at all about the hanging screen, Mama would certainly tell the Old Madam about it. She also didn't know why, she had a feeling that although Miss' face didn't show anything, in her heart she felt that Miss actually knew their every actions. Unconsciously, she did not tell Mama Shen the truth. "Miss is very sad. She said that she wanted to be alone for a while and did not want to be disturbed."

Mama Shen was somewhat doubtful as she asked, "Really?"

Hongshan cursed in her heart, this kind of unpleasant thing made her rushed forward with her plan. If the Old Madam chastised Miss, then the responsibility would be put on her. However, she didn't dared to offend Mama Shen. "Why do I want to lie to Mama?" she asked with a smile.

Mama Shen was skeptical, but when she saw Yuxi's eyes were red and her face was not good, she believed in Hongshan's words. (T/N: Lol. Didn't her eyes were red and her face was not good because of she hadn't been sleeping and eating lately?)

Yuxi looked at Mama Shen's manner and felt a little awkward. She really didn't understand what the Old Madam really thinking. Could it be that she was afraid of her retaliation regarding the doctor's matter? Not to say that she had this ability, even if she had in the future, she still can't retaliate because of filial piety. "Hongshan, have your older brother send a letter to Mama Fang. Invite her to make a trip to the official residence during New Year celebration when convenient." She wanted to talk to Mama Fang about something. She had been very busy before, but her teacher would have a holiday during these two days, so she could relax for a while.