21-30

Chapter 21 : Deep Water and Scorching Fire (3)

Yuxi took the initiative and said to Yuchen, "Third Sister, shall we go and see Eldest Sister in the afternoon?"

Yuchen was somehow surprised. In her impression, Yuxi had always acted indifferent with her other sisters, not distant, but not close either. However, she was very happy when Yuxi took initiative to show her goodwill towards them.

After lunch and a short rest, Yuxi began to write again. After writing a hundred words, she put down the writing brush, rubbed her hands and complained, "I don't know when this will end." She was now going through the ordeal of Teacher Song. She did not believe that Teacher Song would continue doing this for three consecutive months. No one could stand this ordeal, even Yuchen.

In order to cheer Yuxi up, Mama Shen said, "It will take about half a month at most."

Yuxi muttered in her heart that she hoped so. She rubbed her eyes. It was not just her shoulders and hands that were hurting these days, her eyes were often painful. She suddenly remembered one thing. Yuchen kept a jar of fish in her room. The fish bowl was made from ceramic glaze, and you could clearly see the fish swimming freely among the tender green aquatic plants. She looked at it with envy, but now, she thought that the fish tank may not only be beautiful decorative item. She asked, "Don't you think there is something missing in the room, Mama Shen?"

Mama Shen knew Yuxi had something in her mind when she asked this question. Yuxi seldom talked to her unless something happens. Of course, Yuxi also seldom talked to Moju and Motao too which made her didn't suspect anything unusual. "Miss, what is missing in the room?"

Yuxi smilingly said, "If a jar of fish is kept in the house, it will also warms the heart, delight the eyes (Chinese idiom, meaning pleasing)."

Mama Shen thought she knew what Yuxi meant and said with some embarrassment, "Miss, the Third Miss fishbowl was sent by the Marquis of Pingqing, not bought by the residence."

Yuxi really wanted to spit out, why did everyone thought she was lusting over Yuchen's stuffs one after another? Was she so short-sighted in these people's eyes, or was she that greedy when she saw good things? Yuxi felt depressed and uncomfortable, said, "I didn't say I must have her fish tank. I just want to keep at least two fishes in the house. It's good to see them when I have nothing to do." Although she didn't know what effect a jar of fish would have in the house, but it was right for her to learn from Yuchen.

Mama Shen couldn't guess what Yuxi thought, but she nodded and said, "Okay."

In the afternoon, as soon as Teacher Song said school was over, Yujing packed up her things and prepared to leave Magnolia Courtyard.

Looking at Yujing, who already tidy up and ready to go back, Yuxi asked, "Second Sister, you are not going to see Eldest Sister with us?"

Yujing answered, "I have something else to do. I'll see my Eldest Sister some other day."

Yuchen shook her head secretly. Second Sister was really spoiled, even ignoring the sisterhood. "Fourth Sister, let's go!"

As they walked and talked, the distance became very short, as if they could reached Yuru's courtyard in a blink of an eye.

Yuru's yard was planted with jujube trees instead of flowers, which looked monotonous.

When they entered Yuru's room, they saw her lying on the bed, pale and bloodless. Yuxi went to the bedside worriedly and asked, "Are you feeling better, Eldest Sister?"

Yuru nodded and said, "It's much better now."

Yuchen said with concern, "Eldest Sister, you should take good care of yourself. Don't worry about your schoolwork. When you are well, I will lend you my notes." She really thought that Yuru had overworked and fell ill.