Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Handmaid

Start from the beginning

     After hours of punching, kicking, slapping, and scratching Percyus, I still was unable to land even one damaging blow. I threw my hands in the air, groaning loudly in annoyance. "I'm not built to fight like this, Perce." I took off my sweat headband and threw it on the ground in frustration, running my hands through my damp hair.

     He tossed his mouth guard onto the mat again, stepping forward and grabbing my hands, which by now were glowing in whole. Without my powers, my hands would've been destroyed. "I'm sorry, Calla."

     "What for?" My tone was a lot snappier than I would've liked, and I had the urge to rip my hands away from his and go sulk angrily in a corner.

     "I shouldn't be pushing you so hard."

     "I have to learn, though! I can't wait for someone to save me while we are fighting off my old pack." I noticed I was staring at his chest, his collarbones the highest I could see. I willed my eyes to move, slowly traveling my eyes up his body.

When my eyes met his, I felt like I was struck with a bolt of electricity. The mate bond soared, my body humming with need. Need for his touch, his approval, his love, his protection. The immediate heightening of all my senses was shocking and pleasant, the sudden want for his lips on mine making my stomach flip.

His breath caught, and the realization that I was actually making eye contact took his heart by surprise. He started smiling, his smirk growing into a much larger, dazzling smile. His hands traveled up my arms, one cupping my face, one cradling the back of my head.

"Calla..." his eyes drifted towards my lips, and he softly whispered, "Can I kiss you?"

I felt my heart jump with excitement and surprise, and I nodded into his cupped hand, my hands resting softly on his torso. "Yes."

He dipped his head down to mine, his lips hovering over mine. His breath danced over my mouth, his eyes closing, "Thank you."

His lips were on mine.

It was a firm, confident kiss, the kind that made my heart flutter. Goosebumps rose along my skin, rippling over my body as he slid his hand down to my waist and pulled me into him, flush against his chest. His lips moved slowly, my bottom lip captured between his. He drew back for air for only a split second before he was back on my mouth, guiding me through the kiss.

His lips parted, his tongue running over my top lip. My mouth opened slightly, letting him deepen the kiss. He kissed me confidently, erotically in the most tantalizing ways. I never knew kissing someone could be so pleasurable, so provoking. I felt an urge to go further, the lingering thought to push him into the house and do it all to me starting to push forward.

I drew back gently, my eyes slowly opening. My lips tingled with the sensation, the feeling of his lips on mine lasting long after. He pressed his forehead on mine, and I had to bite back the desire to go back for more. We were in public and it felt far too inappropriate.

"I um-" I started, my thoughts all scrambled from the kiss. "I think I love you. I don't know what love feels like, I never have... but I think this is it."

His smile faltered, shock filling his features. His eyes searched my face like I had something on it. Before I could pull away and smack myself for my stupidity, he pulled me into him. He crushed me into a hug, his body radiating warmth. His fingers tangled into the sweaty mess of my hair, holding my head to his chest. "Calla..." I could feel his heart beating wildly and the thrum of his voice rumbling.