twenty-six || tired of hiding

After a revelation as large as that of the gate potentially opening to unleash god knows what, how does one go on?

It turned out to be a mixture of yelling excessively at kids running on the pool deck and voicing concerns of young love to Joyce Byers and attempting to figure out how to destroy El and Mike's relationship.

But what were they to do?

It wasn't as if they noticed the exploding rats in the abandoned warehouse behind Starcourt.

"Well...your form is amazing."

Tatum blinked dully from her rested spot hunched over the desk, more than ready to end the day and get the hell out of the heat, as Mrs. Wheeler's voice fed into her head, matching to Billy's.

"I'm sorry, I mean, I...I've seen you...uh, teaching...lessons. Swimming lessons."

"Well, thank you. I've been swimming a lot this year to get ready for the season."

"Maybe you could teach me. I only really know the basic two styles. I wouldn't mind learning, y'know, butterfly...breaststroke. It could be a fun learning experience."

Tatum's eyes grew wide, unable to decide if she was amused or horrified that Mike's mother was coming onto him.

Billy laughed, his uncomfortableness hidden by his constant charm. "I really only teach kids, y'know. Arm floaties and all."

"You're definitely a good enough teacher to consider advance classes with...select clientele," Karen said. "In fact, there's a really good pool out at Motel 6 on Cornwallis. It's very quiet. You know, very private. What do you say about tonight? Eight o'clock?"

"I...uh, I'm sorry. I can't."

"Can't what, have fun?"

He laughed hesitantly. "Mrs. Wheeler, between you and me, I'm actually seeing someone."

Karen gave an unconvinced hum. "Since when?"

"For a while, actually," he replied. "We're just not public about it. I'm honored by the offer, though. I'm sorry."

"Well, if you change your mind, you know where to find me."

"What are you smiling about?"

Tatum's brows lifted, sitting up from her lowered position as Adam's voice broke her concentration out toward the pool deck. "Huh?"

"You were like dead asleep and then you started smiling. What's with that?"

"Who knows, Adam?" she asked, reclining back in her seat. "I do weird things in my sleep." She checked her watch, exciting getting up from the chair. "Oh, thank God. I want these rats out of the pool, stat." Picking up the whistle around her neck and putting the metal between her lips, she swung open the shack door and stepped out onto the pool deck.

Intermittent groans echoed as they noticed Tatum's arrival, well aware of what her presence met at the end of the day.

Tatum signaled for the other guards on the deck, timing a three second count down on her fingers before they all joined her in damaging everyone's ears.

"Clear the pool!" Tatum called out, barely noticing Billy's arrival at her side. "Good day?"

Billy shrugged slightly as he pushed his sunglasses back up his nose, hands resting on his waist. "Not the worst, I guess. The kids were running more than normal."