twenty || babysitter's club

MARCH

Madonna's voice boomed through Jolene, Tatum's effectively named Jeep, as she sped through town to get to Marty's diner on time. 'Material Girl' was easily one of Tatum's favorite songs to be released the month prior, and her entirely family and friend group was tired of hearing it.

Which was exactly why it was safe to play in the confines of her own vehicle.

Tatum had managed to pass her driver's test on the first go and even got a decent license picture, which fully upset Steve, who's hair appeared rather flat in his photo. She'd spent almost every day since driving around, whether or not it was to and from school, and racked up quite the gas mileage on Jolene in the first month.

She'd even gotten into the habit of being the one to take Max home from school when there weren't plans for the party to hang out, and Max was beyond happy to let her do it.

Billy was less thrilled on the outside, but he remained mildly scared of his stepsister and let it slide. But he also got to see Tate outside school in the daylight more often than not, so he wasn't exactly upset about the situation.

With the snow gone for the season just before spring break, the weather was perfect for jeans, a ratty Bowie cropped shirt and a leather jacket without worry of getting a chill.

Tatum pulled up outside of Marty's, parking next to Steve's BMW and climbing out of the raised Jeep with ease. She tucked her keys into her jacket before stepping into the diner.

"Cutting it close, Rivers," Steve mused from their typical booth, two drinks sat out for them.

"Sorry." Tatum checked her watch as she slid into the booth. "I helped Max with some of her homework."

"I ordered our regulars. I hope that's okay."

"That's perfect. I'm starving. I skipped out at lunch to hang out with my dad," she told him. "He let me help him brainstorm the ending with him, which he hasn't let me do in years."

"That's awesome," he said with a smile. "I'm glad everything's been good since he got home."

"I think he's been better about everything since he can't bribe me with cigarettes anymore since I can just buy them for myself. I mean, I'll still take them if he offers, but he's not like he used to be."

"He really used to kick you out when he wanted to write in the living room?"

Tatum nodded. "Usually leave a pack or two on the porch when I got home from school. That's why I went to the pool so often. And I was there so much that they asked if I wanted to test as a lifeguard. They even paid for me to train, which is almost unheard of. Everyone that wants to work at the pool this summer has to pay like fifty bucks to get certified."

"Shit," he murmured. "But I think you're going to have a great time this summer. You get paid to be out in the sun."

"I'll be tan for the first time in my life, I know!" she exclaimed with a grin. "You could totally come work with me."

Steve drew a circle around his head. "There's no way this is going to be around water all summer. Little shit splashing water everywhere? Hell no."

"Have you tried with the mall again? They started a few hiring events, didn't they?"

"Yeah, there have been a couple," he said with a shrug. "I don't have anything on my resumé so I don't exactly stand out."

Tatum waved a passing hand. "There's a ton of teenagers who don't have anything on their resumé yet. That's why you get a job, so that can go onto the resumé."