three || big city

"Tatum, shake a leg! We're about to head out!"

  "Coming!" the brunette shouted from within her closet, pulling a pair of tough denim shorts over her bikini bottoms. She had pulled a loose white button up top over her swimsuit, it buttoned just enough to keep her father from complaining.

There was a lot to get done before the sun set, but there was no debate that swimming was happening.

Tatum jogged down the wide staircase, nearly colliding with Elena in the foyer.

"Easy, Speedy," Elena said with a grin, taking a small rolling suitcase out the front door. "Are you that excited to get us out of here?"

Shrugging innocently, Tatum followed her stepmother outside. "I'll just be by the pool all weekend."

Elena grinned, watching Tatum's expression as she slid the suitcase into the boot of the Mustang. "I take it you haven't seen it yet?"

Tatum's brows furrowed, tilting her head slightly. "Huh?"

"It sure is hard to miss." Jordan took the porch steps two at a time, dropping down on the slim sidewalk the curved to the driveway. He dug into his pocket, tossing a set of keys to his daughter.

Catching them with one hand, she slowly turned over her shoulder, grinning wide as she stopped dead at the sight of the red motorcycle parked just behind her. "No way."

"Way."

"Holy shit," she mumbled through a smile, running her hand along the leather seat. She picked up the black helmet hanging on the left handle, red, orange and yellow stripes running along the top with a plastic flip up protector. "She's fab, Dad!" Nearly tackling her father in a hug, she squeezed him tight. "Thank you so much."

"Ain't no thing, bug," Jordan said with a smile, pinching her cheek. "Don't you crash it. I won't get you another one until your birthday if you do, so unless you want to walk to school until January, drive careful." He kissed her on the forehead before letting go. "The house better be in one piece when we get back, as well," he told her, pointing an accusing finger as he climbed in the front seat.

"I can only make a half promise on that one," she told Jordan, giving Elena a hug before backing up and waiting in front of the Mustang. "Drive safe, please."

"We'll give you a call from the coast," Jordan promised, windows down as the sleek vehicle began to roll out of the driveway.

Tatum blew a kiss, waving until they vanished down the street. She outstretched a hand toward her new bike. "I'll be back for you." Turning on a dime, she bolted back into the house to the kitchen telephone and rung up the number she had scribbled on the attached notepad. Absently tapping a bare foot as she waited for the phone to ring, she perked up as a voice greeted her on the other end of the line.

"Hello?"

"Hi, is Nancy there?"

Without pause the woman said, "Oh, this must be Tatum! Hi, sweetheart. This is Nancy's mom, Karen." She pulled the phone away, calling for Nancy. "I've known your father for a long time. We'll have to have you over for dinner one night."

"That would be lovely, Mrs. Wheeler," Tatum replied with a smile, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear. "We should definitely make that happen."

"I'll have Nancy talk dates with you. Oh, here she is-"

"Hey Tatum," Nancy said, taking the phone from her mother. "What's up?"

"My parents just left," she told her as she checked the kitchen clock, it barely past one in the afternoon. "Are you still good to come over before the party?"