Chapter 4

Ava POV

I wake up the next morning and get dressed for church. I flat iron my hair and do my makeup. Finally I put on my heels and grab my purse. I drive over to my Dad's house and meet Dorrien there. I walk up his steps and look at his garden.

"Daddy," I walk up the steps.

"Hes getting dressed," Dorrien opens the door.

"We are always late, " I grab a muffin off of his counter and take off my sunglasses.

"Blame it on Dad he stay waking up late,"

"You should stay here with him and help him then,"

"Nah I got things to do, you do it,"

"No Dorrien, I am barely home,"

"Lies, where we you last night,"

"What does it matter?,"

"Being Im your brother and I should know,"

"I was out,"

"With who?,"

"Dont worry about it," He pushes my head as he walks past me. "Dorrien stop before you mess up my hair," I fix it and mess with my charm bracelet.

"You still have that? ,"

"Yes I do," I roll my eyes.

"I saw 3 other girls with that bracelet on yesterday, "

"You are such a liar," I roll my eyes. "Lance gave it to me, and it's never coming off,"

"You really believed he loved you?,"

"Dorrien shut up you are so negative. Yes I believed he loved me, we were going to get married. No shutbup before you ruin my day," I roll my eyes.

"Aye yall shut up always agruing.

"Oh check you out looking all sharp," I say.

"Who is the pretty lady you getting dressed for?," Dorrien says.

"Nobody," He grabs his cane and his hat. "Now," He sigh. "Lets go,"

*

We walk in and thr congregation is singing. I lead Dad to the front row which he loves sitting so much.

"Goodmorning Mr.Chauncey, " His friend says.

"Goodmorning," He shakes his head and pulls put his bible. Half way through the sermon the more and more I relate to the sermon. Pastor Taylor was talking about letting go, just what I needed.

"Lets look at Philippians 4:6-7," We all stand up and read the verses aloud. "For He will help you in your trials and tribulations. All you do is have to give thanks to your Lord and he will guard your mind and your hearts from all that is evil and all that is kind," After the service Dad walks around and greeting people, talking.

"Its been a while since he has been this happy," I say to Dorrien as we walk out of church.

"He is always happy on Sundays,"

"I can believe it, " I smile at August's texts. Dorrien snatches mt o hone away and scrolls through. "Dorrien give it back!,"

"Nah who you smiling at?," He reads my texts and looks at me. "Who is this?,"

"Give it back!,"

"Aye what yall yelling for? Stay yelling for no damn reason," Dad walks over to us.

"Dad tell Dorrien tk give it back, "

"Dorrien give it back," Dad says as he walks to the car. "So where yall going?,"

"It doesnt matter dad where ever you wanna go?,"

"I wanna take my black-,"

"Dad!," I laugh and walk him to the car.

**

"Hey Lance," I walk over to his grave with more flower replacing my last ones. "I have been good, still missing you. The crying is gone, I hope. I met someone, I dont know if you sent him or if God did but all I know is he is making me happy. I am happy again, I am smiling and getting better. I came just to say this might be the last time I come here. I will visit occasionally but I have to move on," shit im tearing up. "I have to finally let you go, I have to get closer to things that will benefit me. Im sorry and I will forever love you," I half smile and walk away. As I head home August calls me. "Hello?,"

"Hello gorgeous, " His deep accented voice.

"Hi Romeo," I cant help but smile.

"How is your day going?,"

"It feels really long,"

"Ava its only 1:20," I sigh. "That bad huh?,"

"Not really,"

"Tell me all about it," I am caught a little off guard but happy. I never heard a guy say tell me. It may seem petty but no guy wants to listens or likes to at that fact. I mean Lance used to say that but he never listens he would just nod. But August he commented here and there and gave me advice. "And going to see Lance and letting him go and finally accepting that he is gone was hard,"

"I understand when my brother died it was hard,"

"Im so sorry August,"

"Aye dont be sorry you didnt do anything," I giggle.

"Okay," We continue to talk on the phone as I get in the house.

"What are you going to make for lunch?,"

"Teriyaki chicken and rice,"

"Im going to name my daughter teriyaki," I bust out laughing.

"Dont do that to that poor girl," He laughs.

"When I have a daughter she is going to be sweet and saucy, " I laugh and kick off my shoes and lay down. So an hour passes then another hour then another.

"Look what you did August," He laughs.

"I am always doing something what did I do now beautiful? ,"

"Its almost 5:30, you are a distraction," He chuckles.

"Lies, "

"Right because I am always lying,"

"Yep," I sigh. "Well Im going to take a shower and I'll call you later,"

"Alright," I hang up and start blushing. He is everything I need and more.