Control

I was still here. Trapped inside, screaming uselessly against the cage that Darquesse had put me in. I could only watch as Skulduggery fought her. Well I say fighting her, but it was more like just trying to survive. While Skulduggery had more experience and finesse than I did, Darquesse possessed the raw power to beat him down.

"Please Darquesse stop this!" I screamed. "Don't hurt him!"

Skulduggery stood up in front of us. His suit which earlier in the day only had a little bit of dirt on it was now ripped and shredded. Amazingly he still had on his hat. She could imagine his response to her if she asked about this. "Magic," he would say and then laugh at her annoyance. She couldn't lose him. She needed Darquesse to stop.

"Darquesse! If you hurt him, so help me..."

"What are you going to do dear? We are the same person," Darquesse laughed at her.

I watched as my hand was lifted and waved through the air. In response, Skulduggery was lifted and thrown hard into the ground.

He didn't move.

"I won't let you keep hurting him or anyone else," I growled. I tried concentrating and imaging control of my body but it felt like a string was detached. Like I couldn't be the master of my own movements.

"You are mine," Darquesse whispered. "I am not giving you up. I have been kept in the dark for too long and I am going to have some fun now."

I watched as we left Skulduggery and started flying slowly after the fleeing multitude of mortals.

"Look at all those pretty auras, green ones and blue ones...oooo look a pink one," Darquesse giggled like a schoolgirl. "All the colors of the rainbow!"

I tried ignoring her and focused on my breathing and tried to drown out the noise of death and destruction.

"I told you Valkyrie. There is nothing you can do. I am not giving you up." Darquesse growled. Suddenly we stopped flying through the air. "Maybe I will have to prove to you how useless you really are."

I noticed we were outside a grocery mart. A small blue aura caught my eye. It felt familiar, safe, warm...

"No" I breathed.

Darquesse laughed again.

I yelled as my hand was once again lifted without my consent. I felt magic flow through my arm and start to form a ball of energy in front of me. My mother's face was flowing with tears. She had no idea what was going on. I never told her or my father about my secret life. All she saw was the oncoming apocalypse and her daughter was at the heart of it. As my mother's face vanished into a flash of pink energy, something in me broke.

I screamed.

Darquesse's hold on me wavered, just for a moment.

But that was all I needed.