Goodbye Rue

Marigold's POV

Rue pulled the spear out of her wound before I caught her as she fell .

I saw a tear run out of the corner or Rue's eye causing me to start crying as well .

"It's ok . Your ok"

I knew it wasn't ok and I knew she wasn't going to be ok .

I kept repeating the words 'your ok' except I don't know whether I was trying to convince Rue or myself .

"Did you blow up the food ?"
Rue asked .

"Every bit of it"

"Good . You have to win"

I didn't answer knowing that I wouldn't kill Clove if it came down to it .

"Can you sing ?"

"Ok"

I sang the song 'Deep in The Meadow' which I sometimes use to sing to Prim as well .

Rue's eyes had already glossed over before I could finish the song .

I gently shut them as I knew she was dead .

I felt the heavy tears come rolling down my face before I whispered

"I'm sorry"

"Come on let's go"
Clove suggested .

"No I have to do this"

I got white flowers from nearby before placing them around Rue's body and putting a bunch in her hands .

I placed a light kiss on Rue's forehead and pressed three of my fingers to my lips then saluted them in the air out of respect knowing this would be shown to all of the districts .

I cried whilst rubbing my hands as if in a attempt to get blood of them even though no blood was visibly there .

I felt Clove pull me into a hug before she grabbed my face causing me too look at her with one hand then intertwined our hands with the other .

"Listen to me Marigold there's nothing on them"

I felt the tears continue to run down my face before Clove kissed me gently .

I pulled her into a hug and rested on her liking the comfort of another human being especially since it's Clove .

***************

"Attention tributes attention . The regulations providing a single victor have been suspended . From now on two victors may be crowned . This will be the only announcement"

"We can both win this . We can both go home."

I breathed to Clove who grinned my way .

"Now I don't have to die in order for you to win"
She said with a chuckle causing me to chuckle along with her .