Dealing With a Crisis

Start from the beginning

"Water sounds good. I'm not really that hungry, Mom," Lena smiled weakly. "But on another note, I may go out for some coffee. I need some fresh air." She still had barely eaten, picking here and there, and this entire tragedy was beginning to take a toll on her. She was grateful for her friends who had helped with Frankie and Corey, helping her buy them outfits for the funeral and just helping her in general. It was super tough telling both kids even though they were so little they barely remembered their father.

*Flashback*

"So, he won't ever come and find us?" Frankie sat on the hotel bed as big tears formed in her eyes. The little girl was squeezing her little brother's hand for dear life.

"No, baby. Daddy has gone to be with the angels."

"He can fly? Can he see us?" Corey asked with such innocence, tears came to Lena's eyes.

"No, stupid head! He can't fly!" Frankie scowled at her brother as Lena frowned.

"Francesca, now is not the time to be mean to your brother. I told you from the start that you can ask as many questions as you would like, but being mean isn't an option!"

The young girl was angry, confused and sad as she glared right at her mother and folded her arms across her chest. Lena didn't know what to say or do as she looked at her small son.

"I think he is looking down on us right now and smiling. I don't know if he can fly though," she soothed as she placed her hand on top of Corey's.

Frankie began to play with the dog-tags around her neck as she listened to her mother's answer, as her little heart broke even more. She had held on to hope for so long that her daddy would come and find them, that this news was a giant blow to her little heart. "Can I please go find Grandma now?"

Lena nodded as her little girl ran off, and she was left to hug Corey who wrapped his little arms around her neck. "I love you, Mama."

*Flashback Ends*

The funeral had been a couple of days after Christmas, and the kids were very upset that everything was going to be postponed except the fact, they'd be heading to Maine soon with the promise of snow, sleigh rides and hot chocolate. Shipping Will's body to be buried by his grandfather in the family plot was the reason for the visit, and even though the kids didn't understand, Dana tried to have some semblance of a Christmas on the given day.

*Flashback*

"Breakfast! Everybody wake up! Santa remembered to bring you, all, at least one gift!"

"Yayyyyyyy!!!!!!!!" Corey hollered as he was the first one out of bed.

"Shut up, dumb head!" Frankie grumpily tossed her pillow at him, and Dana walked over to her granddaughter.

"Santa sometimes comes back to retrieve presents from naughty girls. Please do not throw the pillow at your brother again."

"Yes, Grandma," Frankie said remorsefully. She had been in a terrible mood since hearing the news of her father, but Christmas Day was something that didn't really cheer her up, either...except for the fact she had asked for a new Barbie and was hoping this was the day.

"Wake up, Stefanie!" Frankie tried to wake her sleeping cousin who covered her head with a pillow.

"I'll be there. Calm down," she glared at Frankie. They had arrived super late the night before and the poor girl was exhausted. Needless to say, Dana and Stuart made it a point to make that day special by playing games and watching movies with the kids while Lena and her friends sat back and tried to relax.

*Flashback Ends*

The curly-haired woman appreciated all that her parents and friends had done for her and the kids, and she really appreciated how she and Stef were able to put everything to the side for this life altering event. Knowing that she had a good support group was more than she could ever ask for, and as the memories of the last couple of days settle in on her, she couldn't help but cry.

"Lena?"

Lena wiped her eyes as she sat in the coffee shop drinking her coffee alone on the upper east side. How would someone know her here in New York City? Standing by the table was a nervous Cinnamon, clad in clean clothes as Julius had taken one look at her and told her it was time to bathe and clean up even though he didn't win with getting rid of her dreadlocks. "Hi, Cinnamon?"

"Yes. Ummm....can I sit?"

"Sure, go ahead. Do you want coffee?"

"No. It's okay. I'm in a hurry, but I thought you'd want this," the young girl slid a leather bound book as Lena frowned.

"What's this?"

"It was Will's journal. He made sure to write in it daily. "

Tears stung Lenas eyes as she pulled it closely to her and smiled. "You sure you don't want coffee? It's super cold today."

"No. I'm headed out." And with that Lena was left to sit and stare at the book wondering if she'd ever find enough nerve to read it.