CHAPTER 6

Chapter 6: The Social Occasion

SITTING silently at the dining table was Jean, playing with her fork. Hopper was on her left, with Eleven to her right, the two across from each other.

At the beginning, the dinner was lighthearted, but as the redhead posed a statement, it became awkward and full of tension.

"A party?" Jim repeated, his questioning eyes radiated a small level of intimidation as he looked at Jean.

With a nod, the green eyed teen answered. "Yeah."

Earlier this noon, a very nervous Steve had called, stating that he got the cabin's number from one of the kids -presumably Dustin. The brown haired nineteen year old exclaimed that there was a party a fellow senior of his was having the next day, and he was wondering if she'd be interested as to come along. Jean told him she'd think about it.

So when she declared the news to Hop, she swore she could see a vein popping on his forehead.

"And who will be going to this 'party'?"

"People my age?" Jean rebutted.

Eleven, who'd been sitting quietly, staring at the two, spoke hopefully. "Can I come?"

"No." Mid-bite, Jim turned to his adopted daughter, and pointed his fork her way with a matter of fact expression. "Eat your carrots, okay?"

Eleven huffed, pouting slightly as she complied.

A sigh of frustration fell from Jean's lips as she stared at the dinner table.

"Will that guy with the mullet be there?" Jim hissed through clenched teeth, his words dripping with dislike towards that smirking son of a bitch.

Jean didn't blame him.

"You mean Billy?"

"Oh, so he does have a name." Hopper raised his dirty blonde brows, mockery entangled in his tongue.

Jean rolled her eyes at the older man. "I don't know if he's coming or not, I barely even know him."

'Then why were you having lunch with him?'

Uncontrolled by her, Hopper's thoughts resonated in the mind of the currently very frustrated teen. Dropping her utensils on the plate, Jean Grey crossed her arms in front of her chest. "Look, as much as I enjoy being cooped up here, I won't be able to form any sense of self or remotely remember anything if I stay here all the time." She logically spoke, while Jim just stared at her.

After a good minute, Jean broke the silence. "So..can I go?" She asked, her green eyes hopeful.

"Are you asking for my permission?" Jim's facial expression and tone failed to hide his mild surprise. As before when he'd caught her with Billy, Jim didn't really know how much authority he had on the redhead. He cared for her sure, that was why he was asking all of these questions. But if she said she was going, he wouldn't have been able to stop her.

She looked debative to herself, glancing between El and Hopper. "Well...yeah."

Seemingly, he was pleased with her answer, a ghost of a smile on his lips. "Fine, you can go. But be home early." Hopper exclaimed. The serious and raspy tone of his voice returned to flutter in his tongue. "How are you gonna get there?"

"Someone's picking me up."

"Who?" He asked, tone rising a bit.

"A guy."

Oh here we go.

"His names's Steve Harrington." She declared, watching his face flash with recognition.