Heart. Racing.

"Yes."

I smirk.

"You two are slow as shit," Mr. Medero groans walking out the door.

"Jesus christ Leo, I told you to put sunscreen on your face. You will never listen to me will you?"

"I did," he says weakly. 

"Whatever, Andrews parents are already waiting outside. Let's go."

I follow Mrs. Medero out of the house to one of the cars we rented. My parents take a jeep and Leo and I go with his parents.

I decide to sit in the middle seat right next to Leo. It's dark and his parents are busy bickering so I hold his hand and sit smugly.

When we get to the beach, Leo and I both jump out of the car and run like idiots to the water.

"Race you to the by."

"Okay loser," he says running into the water.

Second after, I run into the freezing water.

"You started before me! That's cheating."

"Oh, you wanna talk about cheating?" He snickers.

"Hey it's too soon to joke about that."

"Five months is too soon?"

Swimming and talking is tiring.

He beats me to the buoy. Exhausted, we both just tread water there. It's pitch black, I can't even see where the parents went.

"I'm going to ask for like the fifth time, and this time you better answer me," Leo starts. "Now what?"

"I don't know."

"You scared?"

"Yeah, maybe a bit."

"I would hug you but I'm not trying to drown us," Leo chuckles.

"Why is it always us alone in water in the dark?" I laugh. 

"The cottage was fun."

"I expect to be aloud to go through your sketchbooks now," I say. Not that that ever stopped me.

"Only special people. Right now you're just my sisters ex."

"Just, I'm offended. Would you let a boyfriend?"

"Hm, I'll have to let you know when I have one. It really depends how much I like the guy."

"Well Kaleo, shall we date?"

"Aw how cheesy."

"I know, I'm adorable."

When we get home I go to Keanu's house to chat. I knock on her door and she lets me in.

"You okay?" I ask.

She shrugs. "Not really." She closes the door behind me and goes to sit on her bed. "Just been thinking and I have a lot of mixed feelings about today's events."

Same.

"Part of me is relieved because for a while you've been distant, part of me is really glad for Leo because even though I don't say it, I'm scared shitless something will happen to him, then part of me is just sad. Oh yes another part is shock, what the actual fuck?"