Sealed and Silenced: Chapter 21

| I would like to dedicate this chapter to a very loyal reader and new friend @RioMJackson. She's been reading since the beginning and has been an amazing fan!! Thank you!!

A/N: Please don't forget to vote, comment, and fan!! I hope purple lions and stripped giraffes make you smile today! |

“Adalyn, I’m so sorry.” Carter pulls away. I raise my finger to his lips, hushing him.

“Later,” I whisper, suddenly very aware of the basement audience. “Do you have a plan?”

“Yes,” Carter’s voice lowers to match mine. He pulls me into a tight hug, so his mouth is equal to my ear.

“A guard change is happening right now, the bar is empty, and anyone can slip out. If we take Mia and Natalie, I’m sure we can find police and they can help us. I’m sure we can do this, Addie.” I nod against his scratchy cheek.

“You said once before there was a window in the room that you were keeping. Do you remember anything from it?” Carter’s voice has turned to business. It would be adorable if we weren’t planning our escape from death.

“A couple of building with white rooftops,” I mutter.

“That must be our best chance. I think there’s a shoreline straight out the front door.” I nod again.

“Follow my lead, will you?” He whispers before he pulls away from me.

“Anyways, you -whore, and Mia, and that blonde one, come with me. Boss wants ya.” The way Carter’s voice can become so harsh so quickly is terrifying, but now I understand it’s just an act.

Mia stands up, picking up on the cover story, where as Natalie stands furiously, looking as if she wants to kick Carter in the balls. I try and hold my snicker.

Carter grabs me by a shoulder and pushes me towards the stairs as gently as he can. I scramble up them. I hear Carter repeat his actions to Mia and Natalie. Mia shouts a bit, and Natalie makes physical contact with Carter, to which he makes a squeamish noise.

He stumbles after us, until we reach the top. Once there, Carter fills the other two in on the plan in hushed silence. I can feel our hearts racing as one. My palms sweat with intensity. Natalie apologizes for hitting Carter.

He turns the door handle.

I swear the creak of that door has never been louder. My breath is heavy in my chest. I hear the races our hearts our leading.

The bar is dim. Few candles sit on the wood straight, illuminating the rest of the vast space. Shadows of empty bottles and evil chairs loom on the walls, their images flickering. Corners stand back, black as night.

Carter peers around, holding us off.

Satisfied that no one is around, he creeps forward, looking around like hunted prey. I grasp his hand in mine, sweat mingling together. Carter gives a gentle squeeze before he takes a few more steps forward reaching the first table. Carter waves Mia and Natalie forward.

“Okay,” he whispers. “Now we run for it,” we all suck in a deep breath. “Go,”

At the muffled tone, we all break for it, being as silent, yet as fast as we can. We dodging tables and chairs, avoiding broken glass and the occasional blood spatter like ninjas.

The trail to the front door seems to be an endless maze with no finish in sight. I stay close on Carter’s heels the entire way.

Until, we are there. The front door stares down at us. The four of us freeze awestruck that freedom is so close.