Sealed and Silenced: Chapter 1

“Get your skinny ass back here!” I could smell his breath from here and I was across the ship. My torn and filthy clothes flew behind me as I ran, my bare feet padding quickly along the slippery deck. This was my last chance. I knew if I didn’t run now, I would die on this horrendous boat, if not from the continuous sexual abuse, to the drunkards who got angry with me for being in the same room.

Brown hair flying, I rounded another corner and met stairs that led up to the main deck. I had only been this far on the boat once, when I arrived three years ago. Adrenaline pumped through my veins, fuelling me up the stairs and out onto the deck.

I took a deep breath; this is what freedom smelled like. Ocean salt clogged my nose and in the distance I would smell freshly mowed grass, and flowers of numerous kinds. The sight was unbelievable. Besides the mouldy fish rotten boat, I could see petite houses on shore, not five miles from where I stood now.

 But my enjoyment of strength and opportunity didn’t last long, as I was grabbed around the ankle with a large, hairy hand. It was blacked with soot, and I knew this was the chef. Time had made his name disappear, but I knew he smoked lots and attended to the ships cooking. He liked me the most.  Many nights he spent, bent over my naked body, taking all and any innocence away.

I try to wiggle free but find it hard; this man has an iron grip that I won’t soon forget. He calls for more men, and my freedom is slipping away. I know what will happen tonight. They will beat me till I break, and then rape me until I cry. Still they won’t stop, and they will do it every night until I cannot move. I know this is true.

Just once, could I not receive a miracle?

A new hand found my other foot that was trying to kick at the horrible chef’s face. This time it was the captain of the boat. He was the strongest of the bunch. Hatred boiled and bubbled in my veins. He was also the first to take away my purity, the first to pin me down in a corner, and laugh at my pain.

Any hope of freedom was gone, my stomach sunk. I could hear footsteps pounding towards me, my time was up. I opened my mouth and let out a scream, but it didn’t bother these men. They had no sanity or compassion. I kept trying to wiggle free, but it was useless.

My hands reached out to claw at the grubby bearded faces, my sharp nails piercing the skin. Small pools of blood started to gather on the captain’s face. His grip loosened slightly with his surprise. The chef stared unbelievably at his captain’s face, startled that I could inflict even the smallest bit of harm. When they picked up, I was harmless. But my body was in the moment now, not the past. This was my last chance.

I jerked my feet with all my might, making the iron holds realise. Scrabbling to my feet, I began to run. Within seconds, a large man loomed in front of me, arms out like a zombie. My body was on overdrive as I dived to the left, then the right, and then straight between his legs, sliding down the boat.

If more men came, I didn’t know. I was going for the edge of the boat. My mind was made up, I was diving. I didn’t care if it was shallow and I broke my neck, it couldn’t be worse than staying here.

Dodge the basket! My mind shouted. Dodge the fish! I dodged the basket and the fish, but my foot landed on something less pleasant than stinky fish. Something lay up turned, glimmering silver in the sunlight. My foot was now bleeding, I could easily smell the copper, and bile rose in my throat. I didn’t like blood.

A long gash decorates my foot now, but it doesn’t slow me down. Blood pumps out effortlessly and I know I leave a trail behind, slick and wet for the men to follow.

I have reached the edge of the boat now. With all the strength left in my arms, I place it on the lip of the boat and throw myself overboard and down into the water.

A cooling sensation ran over me as I was dosed in water. My filthy tattered clothes absorb the water like an old friend. The water around me is slowly turning red, and I realize just how serious my wound is. I had to get to the shore. I have to call for help.

The men’s shouts echoed over the water, as I dive in, and start to swim. I had lessons when I was a kid, but I was never really good. In fact I was horrible. The basic doggie paddle was my tool now.

No splash has followed mine, not ripples reach out to me now, and I take a breath of relief. The men do not follow and I wonder why, but not for long.

I paddle to shore, and lay upon the sand, my eyes closed. It feels good to be away from the hideous prison, but it feels strange. It’s like I have forgotten how to live. The air is clean, not clouded with smoke or the stink of fish.

The sand feels soft against my palms and in the distance I hear the rustle of trees. They talk and whisper to one another, creating a language of sorts. Gentle water brushes against my filthy toes, barley washing away the months of grim.

The men would give me a shower every six months or so, to keep me clean for their enjoyment. Everyone took turns being the first to get me dirty again, spreading their filth into my face and often my clothes. They enjoyed seeing my struggle. Their own mind gone, lost never to return.

I was at peace for once in a very long time. My lungs expanded with fresh air and my shoulders lay back. I knew I had to get up some time, but that time hadn’t come just yet. I was going to enjoy being free. Besides, the boat had already abandoned me here and I was thankful.

Lost at thought, I didn’t hear the crunch of a trunk pulling up by the dock; I didn’t hear the swish of sand flying as four burley men made their way to me.

What I felt was a hand grabbing my shirt and yanking my upwards, exposing my naked skin. A blindfold was quickly slipped over my eyes, and my mouth opened to scream but was filled with a gag. My arms were twisted backwards painfully, and my legs went up to kick my new attackers.

Was I ever going to be free?

“Hit her in the head, and take her to Jack.” A gruff voice commanded. And those were the last words I heard.

| A/N: Hope you guys liked it! Please comment below! |