23. sunday, february 2004

Start from the beginning

"I've been playing around with a few." He answered. The all made excited noises and clapped. "Nothing's done yet though." He calmed them down.

"But for our next gig, we need some new shit." Jamie pointed out. "We need to start handing out demos as well so people can spread the word." Alex looked down at his watch and tapped it.

"I should get home. See you guys later." He stood up and Luna stood with him. She didn't say anything, just followed him as he said goodbye to everyone.

Alex led Luna down Matt's steps and around the wall into his front garden. He opened his front door and let her in first.

"I'm home!" He yelled into the house. Luna walked into the kitchen/dining room area and saw Alex's parents sat at the table eating breakfast.

"Luna! What a pleasant surprise." Alex followed the sound of his mum's voice into the kitchen and leant against the doorframe. He watched Luna interact with his parents as if she lived here.

"Hello, Penny. Sorry to intrude, Alex needs me to help him get ready for his date tonight." She teased. David raised his eyebrows at Alex, who shrugged in response.

"With that girl...Joanna?" He asked. Alex nodded. Penny smiled and put an arm around Luna.

"Make him look good." She squeezed her shoulder tightly and Luna smiled between Penny and Alex.

"Alright alright. I'm going to shower." He smiled at Luna, who looked at her most comfortable with his parents.

Alex climbed the stairs and burst into the bathroom to shower. He looked at himself in the mirror and smiled, his life was pretty perfect right now. His band was doing well, school was fine, he had a good group of friends and a girlfriend.

He got into the shower and cleaned himself under the hot water. He was in there for about ten minutes before getting out and drying himself. Grabbing a towel for around his waist, he left the bathroom and walked into his bedroom only to find Luna sat on his bed with a sandwich.

"Your mum made me a sandwich. I love her." She said calmly, not even phased by Alex being half naked in front of her. He stood awkwardly in front of the door, unsure of what to do. "What are you gonna wear?" She asked, chewing her sandwich.

"Uh, t shirt and jeans maybe." He walked over to his chest of drawers and pulled out some clothes before walking back out of the room to put them on. He walked back in and she wolf whistled.

"Very nice. I like the blue." She clapped her hands. He spun around in his sky blue Lacoste shirt and dark blue jeans. "Brings out your eyes." She added. He chuckled and looked at himself in his mirror.

"My brown eyes?" He questioned. She shrugged but nodded and finished her sandwich. Alex messed with his hair until it looked like it usually did and then turned to Luna, who gave him a thumbs up.

"Can you show me your new songs?" She asked. He stood in front of her and she took in the view. His t shirt clung to his skinny body nicely, the collar was popped up and almost reached the length of his hair.

"Uh, sure." He picked up his guitar and she kneeled on the bed. He stared at her as she reached out for him, he didn't know what she was doing as her hands came towards his face. He didn't realise he was holding his breath until he let out a sigh as she put his collar down.

"Go on then." She smiled at him. He stepped back and cleared his throat.

"I was watching Pretty Woman and I got this idea for a song." He smirked and strummed a few times. Luna sat cross legged on his bed and watched intently.

"I'm intrigued."

"Said, who's that girl there?
I wonder what went wrong
So that she had to roam the streets
She don't do major credit cards
I doubt she does receipts
It's all not quite legitimate"

he smirked as he sang and looked up at her.

"And what a scummy man
Just give him half a chance
I bet he'll rob you if he can
Can see it in his eyes, yeah
That he's got a driving ban
Amongst some other offences"

He seemed to really like playing the bit in between the verses. A smile always appeared and he looked to Luna for approval. She always smiled back.

"And I've seen him with girls of the night
And he told Roxanne to put on her red light
They're all infected but he'll be alright
'Cause he's a scumbag, don't you know?
I said, he's a scumbag, don't you know?"

He stopped at looked up.

"That's all I have so far but I want it to build or maybe just go straight into like..." he strummed his guitar to the instrumental break. "What do you think?" He asked.

"Alex, you have a real talent. How do you even come up with these things?" She wondered in amazement. He put his guitar back on its stand and ran a hand through his hair.

"Inspiration is everywhere." He shrugged. "Like turning what you said at work into Mardy Bum and watching Pretty Woman and then writing this." He explained.

"Amazing." She gasped. "I wish I was good at something." She bit her lip. He sat on the bed next to her.

"You're good at baking. You made those cookies, I don't think I've ever had cookies as good as them." He nudged her and she nudged him back.

"You can't make a living out of baking." She assumer. Alex shook his head.

"Sure you can. You can go to culinary school and open up your own bakery or something." He advised. She shook her head.

"It's okay. I'll be happy watching you do your thing. You know how many girls you're gonna get if you make it big with the monkeys?" She looked more excited than he did. He shook his head.

"I don't think I'm that kind of guy." He replied. He looked away and at the clock, it was almost the afternoon. "I should get going. You can stay here if you want, I'll be back before eleven." He offered. Luna blinked at him a few times.

"No. It's okay. I should probably face Brian at some point." She stood up from the bed and he did too. "I hope you have a good time tonight." She poked below his belly button. "Not too much fun" she winked.

"Thanks. I'll try to keep it together." He chuckled.

"I'll make some cookies for school tomorrow." She winked before leaving his room.