Chapter Eighteen - Broom Troubles

Start from the beginning

"Nearly singed my hair!" Potter complained.

Remus eyed them both. "T--timer spells aren't s-something we'll be ll...learning till at least the f--fourth year, that's a bit too advanced."

"So we noticed," sighed Black as another card exploded.

Remus watched them and then sat down on the edge of his bed. "What were you hoping to--to accomplish? I m--mean, I understand the-the timing spell j--just why the--library? Why n-not try it wh--where you wouldn't get in trouble?"

Potter barked out some laughter, eyes bright. "Where's the fun in that?" he asked in a 'duhhh' sort of tone. "Only problem is we're banned from the library until November. If we need something, you'll help us, right?" He tried to pick up a card then yelped and dropped it as it exploded in his fingers.

Where's the fun in getting in trouble and banned from the library?! Remus wondered wildly. "How m--many points d-did you lose?"

"Only fifteen each," Black promised. "McGonagall decided to just dump detention on us instead. Four nights each," he added with a wink.

"Fif...teen points go-gone each, four nights of--of detention each, and-and-and banned... from the library... for a month," Remus stated. Both boys nodded. "Well, er, I--I'm glad you're pl--pleased with your r-results." He still couldn't figure out why didn't just test it out somewhere private, why getting in so much trouble made it better. The conversation ended anyway, as Pettigrew came in all pink and freshly scrubbed from his shower and wanting to join the game of snaps.

Remus curled up on his bed, his nose in a book, not really reading though as he was too busy pondering the sanity of Potter and Black.

*

On Tuesday in Flying lessons Hooch had everyone partner up with the intention of practicing balancing by tossing balls back and forth. Most the Gryffindors wanted to be paired up with Potter, especially since they had an audience. Some of the older students who had watched them the week before were sitting around, wondering if they'd see Potter's tricks again this week. Remus expected Potter to choose Black however he chose Cassandra Inkwood instead.

Remus glanced around, figuring Black would go with Pettigrew, and figured maybe he could be with Evans except Evans was already with Colgate. I don't think anyone would want to be with me, he thought as the Gryffindors paired up. There was an uneven amount of Slytherin students. Was he going to be with a Slytherin? He glanced towards them and saw Silverlocke was standing by himself looking a bit distraught. Remus hurried over.

"P-p-partners?" he asked hopefully.

Silverlocke smiled. "That would be great," he said and Remus let out a little sigh of relief, grateful he was able to actually pick someone. "Are you sure though?"

"Why--why w-w-wouldn't I be?" Remus asked and Silverlocke jerked his chin. Remus followed the line and saw Black looking at them both, forehead wrinkled, a big frown on his face.

Black hesitated then came over. "Lupin, partners?" he asked.

"I th--thought you w-w-were with P--Pettigrew?"

"I'd rather you," Black said simply, then looked at Silverlocke. "What do you want?"

"We're--t-t-teamed up," Remus muttered.

Black's frown returned. "Oh, I see. Well, maybe next week." He gave Silverlocke a bit of a glare then went back over to the Gryffindors and Pettigrew who seemed very relieved when Black stood next to him.

"If you'd prefer being with... him... I understand," Silverlocke said, averting his gaze as if expecting Remus to just run off with the other boy.