01: Ocean Views 📮

Start from the beginning

"I missed you so much, you don't visit me anymore"

Ms Mpisane used to watch me on Sundays when my parents had dates. The cafe used to close early, but now I see that it has gotten very busy.

"It's been years, I want to stayand chat but there's a wedding on Tuesday and I have to bake 5 cakes" she said rolling her eyes.

"I'll give you my best waiter" she said kissing my cheek as a final goodbye. She dissapeard behind the 'Staff Only' door and that was it.

A boy who looked to be in his late teens walked over to me with a huge fake grin on his face.

"My name is- well no, it doesnt concern you. I will be serving you today."

"Please recite today's specials for me"

"I dont know it " he looked at me. I looked right back at him and there was a huge frown plastered on him.

"What do you recommend then?" I asked him, still confused.

"I say, take the blueberry muffin and a cup of cappuccino for you maybe" he said writing it down without even confirming with me first.

"Uhm...okay, and you can order yourself something too, you look like you've had a rough morning" I said .

He was about to deny my offer but he gave in and walked away telling me that he'll be back in 10 minutes.

He came back a few minutes later as I was watching the ocean view from the outdoor seats.

"Here is your meal" he said placing it down, as he was getting ready to leave I mastered the courage to ask for this request.

"Join me?" I said, with a shy smile.

"Uhm...I-guess I can" he said scratching his head.

"Ms Mpisane won't mind" I said placing my fist on my cheeks.

"You seem very- rebellious 'boy-whom I-don't-know', and I need a huge favour from you" he looked so lost, I swear I almost laughed.

"If you so desperately wanted to know my name, you could have just asked" he smirked. Oh, so he can joke.

"Haha very funny now, I couldn't ask since your boy knickers were in a twist" I said rolling my eyes.

"So tell me, what's your name? Why do you work here, who are your parents-?"

"What size do you wear?" He said rolling his eyes

"Sorry, what?" I asked confused.

"That's the next question you'll ask me" he said taking a sip of his water.

"Oh..uhm" I said blushing. I was not very used to having a conversation with your average teen.

"Can we exchange numbers?" I asked shyly.

"Wow, that escalated very quickly. I have a girlfriend dude" he said as he laughed at my embarrassment again.

"No no, I don't mean it like that-"

"I know" he said rolling his eyes

"..."

"What is this favour you want?" He asked as he twinned my actions and also placed his fists on his cheeks.

"I want you to help me out, I've been homeschooled all my life and I guess I want to experience my youth before I age. I need you to help me, I want you to help me do what 'teens' do these days" I said, putting emphasis on the word teen

He laughed so hard, I almost stood up and left because I dont think I've ever been this embarrassed before.

I realised that he's not going to stop anytime soon, so I opened my bag to take out my credit card.

He sobered up as soon as he saw how angry I was.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry" he said reaching over the table and touching my bare arm. I haven't even gotten that much 'intimate' with Pete.

"What makes you think I'll do this 'favour' for you?" He asked as he folded his arms over his chest.

"I'll literally pay you R100 p/h" I pleaded.

"Deal, that's almost thrice the amount I get paid to work here" he said suprised.

"So tell me, why were you angry?" I asked him.

"None of your business" he said as he stood up. His whole facial expression changed as he collected the left overs and dissapeard behind that 'Staff only' door.

He came back to collect my unfinished cup of cappuccino and he left a serviette behind.

I paid on the counter when I finished eating and walked out of the cafe.

I requested for an Uber and just as I was about to wipe my mouth with the small tissue, I saw that his number was on it.

Call me
*** *** ****

●□●□●

"Ada, I never thought in a million years I'd ever have to say this to you. I am very disappointed" my mother said as she scolded me.

James, was watching our heated exchange with scared eyes and I realised that I had to stop for the sake of my little brother.

"Mother, I don't want to fight with you" I said dumping my purse on the couch as I walked up the stairs.

"If you carry on with this childish behaviour, I'm afraid I'll have to make you take a public taxi to school every morning. You are very privileged" If only she knew how I wanted to go on a taxi ride.

"Boo hoo mother, I am frightened to death" I said as I rolled my eyes. My back was facing her so she couldn't make out my expression but she sensed my sarcasm.

"This is not how I raised you Ada"

"That's because you didn't raise me at all" I said shutting my bedroom door. A knock waa heard but I ignored it and lay on my bed.

I rememberd the tissue on my pocket and I quickly added the number on my contacts, I just realised that we still didn't know each others names.

Hey boy, it's me. We met at the cafe today

Sorry, who is this?

Its me. I'll be paying you money

I know who you are. I was messing around.

Ohh

Let's meet tomorrow at the park, at 09:00 exactly.

Great. So what's your name?

Aiden Phehlukwayo. And you are?

Ada Steyn

Goodnight Ada

I know I lied about my surname, but telling him who I am could ruin everything. Who knew that a little white lie could cause so much trouble.

♡♡♡
What's your favourite song?
I've been listening to a lot Billie Eilish lately.