EPILOGUE

real life :

[ i normally don't do this, but playing lover by taylor swift is recommended ]

It was a sunny afternoon in Manhattan, New York. The late summer breeze made the hot sun feel softer, gently grazing the skins of the people that found themselves to walk underneath it.

Elijah Beck was one of the people that was blessed by the smooth touch of the yellow sun as he found himself on a balcony on the seventh floor of a building in Midtown.

His head rested in Tom's lap as the two were sat on a couch, which was placed on the balcony, his legs dangling over the edge of the armrest.

He didn't feel the need to put sunglasses, since his face was shaded enough by the set of documents that Tom dangled above him as he read through them, while the American played with his free hand.

A grin formed on his face as he looked at the hand he held in his, examining the creases and lines that ran through it.

His gaze quickly averted to his ring finger, eyeing the simple, golden ring that was placed on it. The grin that was already plastered on his face, grew twice itself as he looked at it, happy memories flashing through his mind.

Lifting his own right hand beside it, he cocked his head ever so slightly. Comparing the gold ring to his own. Of course they were identical, but he couldn't help but fidget with them.

"What are you doing?" Tom asked softly, pulling the documents to the side slightly to look at him.

"Nothing."

The brit shook his head lightly before he continued to read through the documents.

Elijah looked up through them, trying to read the words on it as well, which didn't really work out as they were sideways for him and printed on the other side. So he went back to playing with Tom's hand, tracing the lines and comparing them to his own.

It had been a few years, a good few years. Since the new year's eve on the Purcell's rooftop a lot happened – mostly good things. Of course, bad things happened as well, but those seemed to be greatly overshadowed by the good ones.

For example, that same night on the rooftop, he and Tom confessed their love for one another, almost at the same time. It was kind of laughable in those early hours of 2020, but both enjoyed the moment greatly, even if Elijah had to admit he couldn't remember much of it, being too drunk to remember.

Later that year, on Elijah's twenty first birthday, he had received a gift from Ava and his father that would stay with him for the rest of his life. Even when he lived on his own and was an adult, she had offered to adopt him. It was mostly symbolic, but it meant the world for him and he remembered crying the happiest tears that day, which wouldn't be the last time.

Later that year however, his mental health deteriorated. He had felt drained and reached for alcohol more often than he would like, making him feel even worse. Tom was there for him every step of the way, supporting him whenever he needed support, but backing off when he asked so.

When Tom had to leave to shoot for a movie for a long time, he had offered to turn down the job to be there for Elijah, who had gotten quite mad in return, telling him that there was no way he was going to drop a role, which he loved a lot, just to be around him. This was probably one of the only times they ever really fought, even when it wasn't even a fight.

During the time he was shooting for the movie, Elijah had spent most of his time with distant relatives in Amsterdam, an incredibly sweet couple that helped him deal with his mind and feelings. Every day Tom and Elijah called, and while long distance relations could be hard, they managed well.

In Amsterdam, the brunet found his love for writing. It was an idea given by the woman he stayed with, 'maybe you can sort your thoughts out on paper, let them make since'. So he did every day, and grew to love it over the months, he still does.

That following year, back home in New York, Tom and Elijah decided to move in together. They found a nice apartment in the centre of Midtown, pretty close to Elijah's old apartment, but this one was significantly bigger.

"What are you thinking about?"

Tom interrupted the brunet's train of thoughts and shot him a slightly absent look, still half in the clouds, "What?"

"You're being unusually quiet, which most of the times means you're thinking about something, or you're shitfaced" he replied in a matter-of-fact tone, a small smile present on his lips.

The American rolled his eyes at the second statement before sighing, "Just things.."

Shaking his head, he put the set of documents to the side, placing them on the white couch, "You never give a straight answer, do you?"

"I thought you'd know that by now," Elijah replied smugly, shooting the Brit a toothy grin.

He rolled his eyes in return, only barely visible through his black sunglasses, "I've read through it by the way."

"And?"

A chuckle escaped his lips at Elijah's excitement, before he nodded, "I think we should be good to go."

The American brunet shot up in pure excitement, only to knock into Tom's arm, "Ow- Really? That's great!"

He went in to hug the Brit but right before he could do so, he felt the all too familiar lukewarm liquid down his nose.

"Shit."

Tom let out a whole hearted laugh before reaching to the coffee table for a box of tissues, which was placed there for this exact reason, "You're such an idiot."

He handed Elijah the tissues, which he accepted gratefully, letting his hand drop from his bloody nose, "I'm your idiot though."

After he put the tissue to his nose, he resumed his previous action and tackled Tom in a hug, careful not to stain his shirt with his bloody hand, "I can't believe we're finally gonna do this."

The brit wrapped his arms around his smaller frame, a grin still present on his face, "Me neither. It's gonna be great."

Elijah leaned back from the hug before placing a kiss on Tom's lips, careful to avoid his bloody nose, "I love you."

"I know."

Elijah swatted the brunet's chest, "You gotta say it back."

"What if I don't want to?"

"-I can and will wipe my nose on your shirt."

"Okay, okay- I love you too."