Chapter 1 - Ray's in medical

~~~ In medical

"Doctor we are losing him. His heart rate is spiking, and his blood pressure is dropping." The tech's calling out caused a fractional pause before the doctor started calling out orders. This was not what they had expected when they brought him in.

Ray was currently lying on a treatment bed though he didn't know it since he was still unconscious from being brought in. When he had been brought in all his medications had been removed from his system as was normal. They had been tagged as potentially hazardous by the computers which ended up causing the current crisis.

The Doctor hurried over and activated her HUD screen and ran through the initial scans, but they didn't show anything vastly abnormal. There had been a few indicators of some medical issue but nothing like this since the medications had concealed the problem. Once his heart started reacting to the loss of the medications additional scans had been started. With the detailed scans they showed an opening in his heart and it looked like it had been controlled by the medications they had removed, "Damn it the initial scans hadn't shown his condition."

"Is the IV started? Start pushing..." She started calling out medications which would stabilize him for the moment. While her team was working on him she tapped away on a virtual console. She started a very detailed scan of his heart and set the results to feed directly to her HUD. While it was happening, she pulled up another VR screen and started entering more commands.

It only took about two minutes for both the scan to process and the results to be fed to the second screen. Once the results were displayed on the HUD she started entering commands via her virtual keyboard.

Moments later a syringe was ejected from a dispenser located next to the bed. Just looking at the syringe the contents appeared to be a rather thick viscous gray solution. Additionally, the solution seemed to be moving inside the large syringe.

"Doctor Spike, for the moment he appears to be stabilized. His heart rate is coming down and his blood pressure is coming up. The oxygen perfusion is climbing as well." One of the medical assistants looked up with concern in her dark amber eyes.

"Good, I just need to verify the treatment before administering it." As she was talking she placed a drop from the tip of the needle onto a sensor pad. The computer took a few moments to run diagnostics on the sample before showing green. She turned and connected the syringe to a port on the IV and slowly injected it. Once it was in, she disconnected the syringe and tossed it into a disposal unit.

"I am going to check in with the Captain. Keep Ray under constant supervision. I want updates every fifteen minutes for the first two hours and then every half hour thereafter." She walked into her office and settled in her chair and pulled the surgical hat and mask off, "Grr I hate these things." After scratching behind one ear she sat up and verified her HUD was showing his status before contacting the Captain.

Vyra received the call and answered, "What is going on Doctor? How is the status of the patient?" She had been notified there had been something going on with the young man. What she wasn't sure, but it was an urgent medical issue. This wasn't what they needed currently.

"Good morning Ma'am. We managed to get him stabilized and I have administered a treatment which should resolve his heart condition." She scratched her ear again and mentally grumbled. She had sweated due to the stress and was going to need a shower and some food, "I am monitoring him and will examine him in several hours once the treatment has had a chance to start working."

The Captain sighed and scratched her chin lightly, "This was not expected or needed. Any idea what happened?" It was something they were going to have to look further into to help prevent anything like this in the future.