nine

𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐄𝐕𝐆𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐀

─────

'Don't move'

Helen Cho moved to écouvillon Evgenia's arm as her other hand held a aiguille. Sitting on a chaise next to the Afro-Russian, Natasha squeezed her daughter's hand in comfort.

Needles, injections. It was always something Evgenia had struggled with since HYDRA. It had gotten better after Mama had taken her to go see a psychiatrist, but they still made her uneasy.

'Deep breaths.' The calming orange voice muttered beside her.

'Ok Zheni, I'm gonna inject it on three. You'll feel a slight prick.'

The swab was removed and Helen aimed the needle into her forearm. There was a small pinch. Evgenia's stomach turned and she squeezed her eyes shut.

'Done.' The doctor put the used syringe in the bin and turned back to the girl. 'You're going to need another shot of the cure in a few months time to boost it, but for now you'll be fine. If there's any more phantom pains or vomiting let me know.'

Natasha nodded at her. 'Thank you Helen.'

'Don't mention it.' The doctor turns towards the doctor. 'Now I gotta go check on Barton up.'

═══════════════════════

It's half past 10. The party is in full swing and Natasha stands by the bar, pouring herself a drink. A woman makes her way up to the redhead, brunette tresses flowing and blue eyes lined with black.

Natasha offers her a small smile and slides her a drink

'Nice work in the field Romanoff.' She raises her glass in a lazy toast with a wink. 

Nat returns the gesture with a small 'cheers', eyeing the other agent up and down slowly. "Wish I could see you fighting alongside me sometime.'

Maria slots herself in next to the redhead, leaning her head back and sighing restlessly. "What a shame those boys always steal you away from me." 

Maria leans closer to her, her hip almost touching Nat's. The two of them stand silently for a moment, observing the bustling party scene before them. Natasha had missed the laid back carelessness of Tony's parties. 

'Am I going to be seeing you around more now Romanoff?'

 'Can't say. I have to do what's best for Zhenya at the moment.' 

'What about what's best for you?'   

'Not something I usually end up having time to consider, especially with a sick kid who's also a trained assassin with PTSD,' Nat stands up, straightening out her dress.

 She gives Maria a departing smirk as she walks out from behind the bar.

═══════════════════════

Evgenia's shaking all over. Her back is covered in sweat and her tears form a river as they roll down her face.

The nightmares have been a lesser occurrence now that the psychiatrist has given her medication for it, but from time to time, they still come out to haunt her sleep.