one

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐀 𝐌𝐎𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐀 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑

𝟭𝟵𝟳𝟯

─────

𝗬𝗘𝗞𝗔𝗧𝗘𝗥𝗜𝗡𝗔 𝗨𝗞𝗢 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗦𝗜𝗗𝗘𝗥𝗘𝗗 𝗛𝗘𝗥𝗦𝗘𝗟𝗙 𝗧𝗢 𝗕𝗘 𝗔 𝗖𝗔𝗟𝗠 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗣𝗢𝗦𝗘𝗗 𝗪𝗢𝗠𝗔𝗡. Calm and composed when a man showed up on her doorstep, human arm riddled with bullet holes and a metal arm clutching a gun. Calm and composed when she healed the broken man back into health. Calm and composed when the man had said that he must leave her for her safety.

But right now, the Afro Russian woman felt anything but calm and composed as she hugged her crying baby close. She felt fear. Fear for the innocent child's life. Yakov had warned her when he had left that night.

Bezhat', he told her. Run.

So she had. Away from the place she had met her lover and to the large, bustling capital Moscow where it would be harder for them to find her.

And it had all been well in Moscow. Yekaterina found a job at a hospital as a nurse. She made new friends and forgot about Yakov's warning. And then she had found out that she was pregnant. When she gave birth and saw the child's eyes – a bright blue like her father's, the fear arose.

And now, as the woman sat rocking the newborn back and forth, she was at loss. It wasn't that single mothers were uncommon in Russia. In fact it was the opposite. So she wasn't worried about the societal pressure against her but rather what she would do with the child.

She couldn't look after the child. It wasn't fair on the girl to have a mother who worked endless shifts at the hospital to make ends meet. Besides, it would be too dangerous to raise her, they were already looking for Yekaterina. If they found her, they would kill her and the child. The orphanage? It seemed to be the only option. They wouldn't be able to track her daughter in a sea of children.

It was decided then.

In the early hours of the cold Russian morning, Yekaterina Uko placed her unnamed child on the doorstep of a Moscow orphanage. She placed a kiss on her daughter's forehead and with tears in her brown eyes, bide the child goodbye.

The blue eyes of the child were the last ones to see Yekaterina alive. Because at precisely 7 pm that night, a man with a metal arm entered her small, dingy apartment.

Yekaterina Uko was found the next morning, bullet hole in her head and a smile on her face.

═══════════════════════

hello! welcome back!

what did you think of this one? it's a little different to my other chapters in nemesis but i wanted to give y'all more of a backstory. any ideas as to who yakov is? 

if you liked this one, make sure to vote and comment so i get some feedback and and an idea of what y'all think.