Chapter Eight

Trey was shaking, but he assured me it wasn't unusual after he had a vision. Not blessed with second sight, I had nothing to go on but his word.

"Do you want a glass of water?" I asked as I showed him into my living room.

He shook his head, sweat sailing from his forehead onto my floor. I tried not to gag and instead, motioned him toward the couch. "Have a seat."

Trey threw himself onto the sofa, the cushions and springs groaning under his weight. His gaze rested on the TV until it looked like he was hypnotized. But the TV wasn't on, so it couldn't have been that enthralling.

"I know I'm not supposed to be here—Quillan said you were off the squad for a while. But, Dulce, I thought you'd want to know anyway."

I got the gist of it. Trey was scared but didn't want to go to Quillan in his current unsettled state. And he probably didn't want to stay home either, with visions of a creature tearing Fabian apart dancing in his head.

"Do you want to take the couch tonight?" I asked.

"Yeah, if I could. I'm usually not like this after a vision, but this one was pretty bad." He glanced away, and I knew there was more. I just hoped he wouldn't start crying—his lower lip was trembling like a three-year-old before a tantrum.

"I'm afraid if anyone knows I had the vision, they'll come after me. There's a lot of incriminating stuff in it."

That was something I hadn't considered. "How would they find out?"

"When I have visions, sometimes whoever is involved knows I'm having them."

"That's happened before?"

"Yep, if whomever I see is sensitive enough, they can pick up on it."

"If that's the case, you need to tell Quillan. You should be protected."

Trey just nodded, but it was a nod that said he probably wouldn't. That was one of the things I didn't get about men—the whole machismo thing—that if Trey told Quillan he was scared, he'd look like a wuss.

"Why don't you tell me about it?" I started.

Trey exhaled. "Here goes. I was eating dinner tonight, and it hit me out of nowhere. I saw Fabian in his store. It was late, and he was there by himself. Then I remember seeing him trying to get away from something. I got the impression that whatever it was, it was female. And there was someone else in the background. He was dressed all in black and had his head down so I couldn't see his face. But he was there, watching the whole thing."

"Okay, you think the creature is female. That's good to know. Did you catch anything about the size of it or what it looked like?"

He shook his head. "No, nothing. I might've been seeing the situation through the creature's eyes. I could see everything about ... Fabian."

Trey shivered and dropped his attention to his fidgeting hands. "I can't be alone, Dulce. Not after seeing that."

"You can stay here tonight. I've got Sam's protection spell on the place, and Quillan dropped off two gremlins earlier this evening so I'm about as safe as can be." I laughed, trying to lighten Trey's mood, but he barely managed a half smile. I'd never seen him like this, and it freaked me out. Usually he was the annoying sidekick—the perpetual thorn in my side. I wasn't prepared for a role change.

"Thanks, Dulce."

"You know you have to tell Quillan tomorrow?" I asked. "I'm off the case, remember?"

How I was going to get this information to Knight was another question. I'd given him my phone number, but I didn't have his. I'd have to wait until he called me or showed up in my dreams again. Hopefully I'd get the call.