Chapter 7

It was just Gabe, sitting alone on the couch watching a movie, when Alice came home from work that evening.

"How are you doing, hun?" she asked on her way through to the kitchen.

"Better," Gabe admitted. Having his stitches out had made a big difference to his comfort levels and general wellbeing. He finally felt like he was truly on his way to healing.

"And how are things with Trist?"

"Mnnh..." Gabe scratched at his back and then made himself stop before he hurt himself. "Bad. I thought they were getting better today and we even talked a little, but now he seems mad at me again and I don't know why. He just seems to really dislike me."

Alice shut the fridge without getting anything out and walked back into the living room. She sat down next to Gabe on the couch. "Things really aren't settling down with him, are they?"

"Escalating, if anything," Gabe admitted.

She let out a long sigh and nodded, staring down at her hands. "I know he's being silly about this and it's not your fault, but when he's out all the time and doesn't come home until late at night..."

"It's worrying. I know."

"I have a responsibility to him," she told Gabe. "And I have a responsibility to you too, don't think you matter any less, but this was always meant to be a short term solution. Besides, your dad didn't really give me any good reason you couldn't stay with him, and I think that would be better for you. To be with family."

Gabe opened his mouth to tell her that no matter what happened, his dad would never let Gabe stay with him, but he shut it again and nodded instead. All he'd really be arguing was that she should put his needs above Trist's, and he didn't want that. After Trist had tended to him with such care, had listened to him without judgement... fuck no, he didn't want that. It didn't matter why he was making Trist unhappy, making him feel unsafe in his own home. It just mattered that he was. He had to go.

"Okay," Gabe said as he fidgeted his fingers together, all his focus on keeping his voice steady.

"You can talk to me, you know," she said. "About anything. If there's anything else I should know..."

Gabe shook his head. "No, it's fine. I'm fine now. Thanks for letting me stay here."

"You're welcome, Gabe. I'm sorry there was so much drama."

#

By the time Gabe's dad arrived, Gabe was sitting on the couch with his packed bag at his feet.

Gabe's dad took one look at him and turned to Alice, shaking his head. "I can't take him back yet. Things with my ex still haven't been settled."

"He can stay with you, Frank," Alice told him. "There's no reason he can't."

"I don't have a room for him. There's nowhere for him to sleep."

"I have a camping mattress you can borrow. It's not ideal but like you said, it's just short term."

Gabe's dad was still shaking his head. "I'm at work all day."

"So am I. He has the girls here with him, which has been great, but he should be with family. That's what he really needs."

Gabe's dad was silent for a long moment and then he sighed and rubbed a hand through his hair. "I'll pay you double."

"Take your son, Frank. Be a father."

Gabe's dad was tight lipped and silent as he marched out of the house with Gabe following behind him. He slammed the door of the car, squeezed his keys in his hand, and finally turned to look at Gabe. "What really happened?"