Prologue: Where I Belong: Part 2

Even as he was walking away from the apartment building, he could hear Lea's voice screaming his name as if it were the dirtiest of words. She sounded much like a banshee in the deep woods calling for its victim, but he was not going to take part in her madness. He revved up the borrowed motorcycle and headed back to the school, but he couldn't as of yet call it home, considering himself still a guest that was slowly wearing out his welcome. If it wasn't for Dora encouraging him to give the place a chance, he would have bailed after the mission where they saved Janalyn. If Lea was going to leave town and take her sister, he hoped his newly official ex would do right by the girl. He didn't want to see Janalyn turning out like Lea.

Approaching the main entrance, he scanned his mind to remember the access code to get in. Normally he would just break into a place, but the ironwork on the structure looked too well-crafted to mess it up, so he punched in the code instead. He laughed at himself wondering when he became so honorable.

Once he drove into the parking garage, he could sense that he was not alone. Something told him that someone else was in the vicinity, and that someone was highly emotional.

"You can come on out!" Drake called out. "Hiding is pathetic."

"So is stealing a motorcycle," a male voice called out and in moments revealed himself to be Reese Faigon.

"I didn't steal it," Drake said, correcting him. "I only borrowed it."

"Why?" Reese asked in an accusing tone.

"To run an errand," Drake said and tossed Reese the keys. "I had something I had to take care of." He was attempting to walk away, but Reese stepped in front of him.

Drake's first notion would be to punch the kid in the face and be on his way, but he didn't want to upset the boy's mother who offered to let him reside here. "Where were you?

"None of your business," Drake said and looked him straight in the eye. "Does mommy know you're out of bed?" Drake just rolled his eyes and walked past him.

"Don't hurt my mother," Reese said and Drake looked back. "She has a habit of taking in strays, and it doesn't always end well."

"I would never hurt your mother, little boy," he said, partially trying to get a rise out of Reese. "I had something I needed to take care of."

"Yeah, you go out there committing crimes and it will come down on my mother," Reese said as Drake gave him a frustrated look, so just tell me. What are you up to?"

"None of your business," Drake shouted and walked away from him. He kept walking surprised that Reese was not following him. He went back to his room and prepared to get a few hours' sleep when he heard a voice in his head.

You told her?

He shook his head, still not used to Dora's mind-speak. "Yes? He said out loud.

You don't have to voice it, she said and giggled in his head. Thinking it is enough.

This is all new to me, D, he said and plopped down on his bed.

You'll get used to it, besides I don't do this for everyone.

Wait a minute, he said, shocked by what he was hearing. Are you telling me that the others don't know you can do this?

Only my brother.

Can he hear us, because if he can...

Don't worry about Jordon. He can't hear us unless I let him.

I never dated a psychic before.

What do you mean dated? You, Mister Drake, have never taken me anywhere.

I'd like to, he said and thought about some of the he'd like to do to her and with her.

Drake, stop that!

Stop what?

Thinking about that. I might like you, but it doesn't mean I would do that with you.

Yes, you do.

Answer my question. Did you tell her?

Not exactly, he said and there was a long pause. Dora was no longer talking in his mind. I told her it was over, but she's acting like it's not.

She will... eventually, she said. I can't talk anymore. I have an early class tomorrow, and need to sleep.

Should I come and tuck you in and tell you a bedtime story.

No, I'm already tucked in, now go to sleep.

Yes, ma'am, and gave a solute with his hand. It's like she was in the room with him, but in reality, she was across campus in the girls' dorm. He thought that if she had seen his stupid gesture, he would hear that adorable little giggle of hers. He finally fell asleep that night, filled with dreams of her.

To Be Continued...