Chapter 16

Chapter 16

As soon as Zoey stepped inside the room, she immediately jumped into me for a big, warm hug.

"Oh my God!" her cheeks were flushed and she was breathless. But her eyes are shining with so much joy. Just like mine. "Oh my God..."

Nginitian ko siya. Hanggang ngayon ay hindi pa rin ako makapaniwala pero heto kami ngayon at mamimili na ng wedding dress ko. I bit my lower lip to try and suppress a smile but I couldn't. Instead, I pulled her again in a hug.

"You're getting married..." she started to cry. "My best friend is getting married!"

Wanda clapped her hands in her nanny's arms. I chuckled and patted her head, all the while her mother is bawling in front of me.

"Thank you for coming, Zoey. I know you're really busy with your practices..."

"What practices?" she rolled her eyes and wiped a tear away. "You're getting married and there's no way in hell that I wouldn't be there!"

Ngumiti ulit ako sa kaibigan. Zeus and I decided to get married as soon as possible. If it was because of euphoria or the thrill of being a husband and wife, that we still don't know. All we know in that moment was that it is very important for us to finally confess our love in front of Allah after so many years.

"You weren't this enthusiastic in my first marriage," I kidded.

Zoey rolled her eyes again. "Well, duh. You're marrying that Malik guy. I mean, no offense, ha? Dude is a good guy. But I'd rather watch you getting married with Zeus more than anyone else."

Pride and love bloomed inside of my chest. Para na atang sasabog ang puso ko sa sobrang saya. At dahil na rin sa sayang idinulot na ipapakasal na ako, sa wakas, sa taong mahal ko ay inignora ko ang sinabi sa akin ng doktor.

"The surgery is needed, Miss Bukhari. And it's going to be a long, painful process. Can't this wait after the surgery?"

I was being stubborn again. I told the doctor that I am feeling good (which is really true). For the past few days, I haven't been puking or losing my hair all over the place. Hindi rin ako masyadong nanghihina. In fact, I am becoming more and more restless as days passed by.

"If I really can't talk you out of the wedding, then you should remember to take care of yourself. Do not exhaust yourself in the wedding, Naia. And you may not be able to enjoy your honeymoon until after the surgery."

I gave him my word. I know I should be listening to him, doing endless lab tests and getting ready for my surgery but I still declined. Somehow, at the back of my mind, a voice was telling me that I should get married soon or it will be too late. Maybe this explains the rush and the thrill that I felt these past few days.

I knew what was about to come. But I was still stalling.

"Naia..."

Napaigtad ako nang makaramdam ng mainit na kamay sa aking balikat. I blinked and Zeus came into vision. He's staring at me darkly. Malalim ang kunot ng kaniyang noo at halos magsalubong na ang kaniyang kilay.

"Gabi na. Bakit gising ka pa?"

Ignoring his growing foul mood, I smiled brightly at him and showed him the wedding magazines I've been flipping since this afternoon.

"Look, I have some ideas for the wedding. Nabisita na namin ni Zoey ang tatahi ng wedding gown ko kanina. Tapos nakausap ko na rin ang ibinigay mong wedding organizer. I wanted to choose the florist, may mga bulaklak kasi akong gustong isali..." I trailed off and smiled cutely, nagbabakasakaling baka patawarin niya ako kapag nginiti-ngitian ko siya.