No place I rather be

Start from the beginning

Klaus couldn't laugh at her attempted humor, but he smiled down at her none the less. Caroline's thumb stroked his cheek once before she dropped her hand.

"So... Now that we're done fighting, could we get out of here?" Caroline asked cheerfully and looked at him with a pleading look that made him sigh dejectedly.

"You still need to rest, sweetheart. And you need more blood as well." he told her with a pointed look and Caroline sigh mimicked his own.

"Fine! I'll take a nap." Caroline agreed reluctantly as she sat down on Klaus' bed and then fell backwards with her legs still hanging over the edge.

"And what then?" Klaus suddenly asked with an uncharacteristic insecurity and Caroline sat back up to look at the hybrid.

"I'm not going anywhere, Klaus." she tried to assure him and for a moment he almost looked embarrassed for asking. "Besides, I made this mess. It's time I cleaned it up."

"What will you do with Tyler?" Klaus inquired carefully, feeling his blood boil with anger. He had already let the mutt live past his expiration date, but he wasn't going to kill Tyler unless Caroline wanted him to.

"We'll cross that bridge when we get to it." Caroline told him and Klaus was acutely aware of her use of 'we'.

"Which will be soon."

"I know." Caroline replied disheartened and fell back on the bed with a tired sigh. Klaus' eyes fell on her hair that was now sprawled across the covers and then on her chest that was rising steadily as if she was already asleep.

"Get some sleep, love and then we'll talk about this later." Klaus said quietly and Caroline nodded with closed eyes before she – to Klaus' amusement – clumsily scooted backwards to the head of the bed. Soon she was buried beneath the covers and had curled into a small ball in her sleep.

Klaus stared at her for a few minutes before he returned to the chair from where he had last watched her sleep and opened the book he had been reading once again. As expected not a single word settled into his mind.

----

Instead of going directly to Henrik's room, Rebekah took a detour past her brother's room and she stood in the hall as she listened to his and Caroline's conversation with quiet interest. The usual silencing spell Niklaus had on his room was gone in favor of Davina's barrier spell and Rebekah remained completely still as to not be heard.

She knew how angry her brother would be for her eavesdropping, but curiosity killed the cat. Luckily, Rebekah had more than nine lives. The blonde Original didn't notice the smile that spread on her lips as she heard the interaction between Caroline and Klaus. When her brother ordered the baby vampire to get some more sleep, Rebekah left her spot soundlessly.

Rebekah was surprised by how little noise that came from her nephew's room as she came closer and walked in to find it empty. The Original frowned in confusion and left the room to go downstairs. She had been certain that Henrik still was with Stefan since that was how she had left them, but now neither of them were anywhere in sight.

"Kol!" Rebekah called out loudly as she moved down the stairway, hoping that her brother might know their whereabouts and she struggled not to laugh as a panicked Kol ran from the living room to the main hall.

"Shut up, Bekah!" Kol hissed at her and the blonde raised a brow in question. "Henrik is asleep. If you wake him up then he's your problem!"

"Where's Stefan?" she inquired with searching eyes and a devious smirk overtook her brother's features.

"He must be sulking somewhere over the sweet Caroline. You should check the library. If you even know where that is, of course." Kol told her and took a small step back when Rebekah glared at him. He wasn't as indestructible as he used to be after all.