Chapter 10: Pyrokinesis

Pyrokinesis: the ability to manipulate fire.

Hayley waits for them on a bench outside, sprawled across the metal seat, sipping on a coke. For some reason, she's wearing sunglasses. Her dog stands on guard next to her, nipping at moths in the air. A boy is crouched between her and her dog, talking in a hushed voice.

"You can't seriously believe that they're the same ones you saw that night," Josh hears him hiss.

She responds calmly, "it's the only thing that makes sense. There were no other people besides us with abilities, now there's two more."

"We were there," Josh blurts out. "At VESSEL."

The boy locks eyes with Josh, the bottom half of his face covered with the collar of his turtleneck. His eyes flicker red for a moment and he scoffs, shaking his head in disbelief.

"Look at them. They're pathetic."

"But they're still our only link to Alley Cat," Hayley says, staring straight ahead at the empty gas pump stations.

Tiana raises her hand. "No offense or anything, Mister Fire Hand Dude, but we have a curfew and I'm still kind of freaked out after having a gun pointed at my head. Can we go home?"

"Curfew?" Chimera rolls his eyes. "How old are you, twelve?"

"We're fifteen, actually," Josh answers.

That catches both Chimera and Hayley's attention, who exchange a look.

"Why do I always end up with the kids?" She mutters, gesturing at Chimera without sparing the two a second glance.

He stands up and shakes out his legs before marching right up to Josh, sparks igniting in the palms of his hands. Josh jumps back as soon as Chimera gets into reaching distance, squeezing his eyes shut for a split second.

When he opens them, he's cowering behind Tiana with his hands on her shoulders. Chimera's gloved hand grabs at the air before he realizes Josh isn't there anymore. The fire dies in his palm.

He looks down at his hand then up at Josh. "Relax, I wasn't going to hurt you."

"How was I supposed to know that, Johnny Blaze?" Josh shouts from behind Tiana. "Your hands got all explodey!"

"You're the one who just teleported. What other papers do you two have?" Chimera snaps, a ball of fire flaring up at the tips of his fingers.

Tiana thrusts her hands up in surrender. "He has spidey sense!"

"She has claws!" Josh adds, shaking in fear of being attacked again.

"And two sets of canines. And a forked tongue."

"What?! You didn't tell me that!"

"I thought it'd freak you out."

"No shit it would freak me out!"

"Hey, hey!" Chimera barks. "Enough bickering."

Hayley still doesn't look at them, but she smiles slightly. "Let me guess- you're Tatiana, and you're Joshua."

Josh's mouth drops open. "How did you-"

"Your mother was beautiful, Tiana. I assume you have her eyes, just like you share her name."

"... what?" Tiana's shoulders tense under Josh's hands. "How do you know my mom?"

"My powers are tied to death. I can see and interact with ghosts, but that's all about I can see." Hayley laughs dryly, taking off her shades.

"You're blind?" Josh asks.

"It was a side effect of my abilities. There's always a catch to these things, you know. Always a catch." She finally turns her head to look at them, revealing her eyes are glowing a ghostly silver. "Do you want to say hello to her?"

"To who?" Tiana flails her hand behind her, and Josh catches it. "My mom?"

Josh finally gathers enough strength to step beside Tiana. "I've never heard about you talking to ghosts. How do we know you're not messing with us?"

Hayley turns her gaze to Josh, and he feels a chill run up his spine. She clicks her tongue. "You were only seven. Poor thing. Cancer runs in your family, I can see that. He misses you too."

His chest tightens with every word she speaks, repressed memories flooding forward. It's been almost eight years, but the wounds are still as fresh as they were then. Josh looks behind him just in case, seeing nothing but thin air.

Chimera shoves his hands in his hoodie pockets. "I think they've had enough, Kiyoko."

"Mm, not yet." Hayley stands and walks beside Chimera, brushing her hand on her shoulder. "I thought you had ghosts, Ty, but these two are just as bad. Especially the girl."

"I'm Latina, so..."

"Come with us," she offers, catching the two off guard. "I can already tell these powers of yours are too much for a couple of kids to handle without ending up like me. You'll need help."

Tiana and Josh just stare at her, faces no doubt in absolute shock. He can't even comprehend what she just said. Help them? As in, take them under her wing? Just like she'd done with Chimera?

"Are you offering to mentor us?" Tiana asks, saying Josh's thoughts out loud.

Chimera sighs and pulls his mask down. "I'm Tyler. Joseph. Not Johnny Blaze."

Josh gapes at him. "What the hell, you're like our age. You were treating us like toddlers."

"You are toddlers. And I'm sixteen," Tyler corrects. "Therefore, I am superior."

"Focus up, boys, there are bigger things at play here," Hayley chuckles.

"Sorry," Josh says meekly.

"So, what's the verdict?" Tyler asks.

To be honest, he doesn't know. Was this the right play? What would be a wrong choice? All he knew was that his childhood is coming true, and maybe he and Tiana had been put in that building for a reason. He isn't religious, he hasn't been since his father died, but this has to be destiny. Either that or piss poor luck.

He looks at Tiana, who seems to read his mind as her eyes light up. She looks at Hayley, who's waiting patiently for an answer, and nods adamantly.

Hayley smiles. "Glad to have you on board. That would've been really awkward if you said no."