Chapter 1: Therianthropy

Therianthropy: ability to metamorphose into animals at will.

just a heads up- there won't be joshler action for quite a bit! My stories are more focused on creating a world rather than romance. Don't worry tho, there'll be plenty of that too

Josh wakes up late.

He's normally up before Tiana, his best friend and next door neighbor, who sleeps until the last possible second before the start of school. This time, however, she's at his front door before he's even fully conscious, banging on it like the end of the word.

"Joshua, honey, get up, Tiana's at the door," his mom calls from the kitchen.

At the sound of her name, Josh scrambles out of bed, making it out of his room and into the bathroom as soon as Tiana lets herself in. He forgot she has a key.

"Buenos días, Laura," he hears her greet his mother through the walls.

"Good morning, Tati. How's your father?"

"Oof, tired. He's had a late shift at the hospital for the past two nights. Another explosion downtown at an art museum this time."

Josh eavesdrops as he brushes his teeth, trying to tame his unruly bedhead at the same time. It's a losing battle, so he leaves his hair as it is.

"Oh, dear. Is it that Alley Cat fella again?"

"Yup. Good thing the Medium and Chimera were there, or that museum would've been toast."

He makes it out of the bathroom and tries to sneak into his room without being caught, but his best friend sees him and calls him out.

"Hey, cabrón, you tryin' to make me last on my first day at your fancy new private school?" She taunts.

Josh skids to a stop. "Shit, is that today?"

"Language," his mom warns with a smile.

"But Tati just swore in Spanish!"

"It doesn't count if it's in another language," Tiana teases, tapping her head.

Tiana has on the same school uniform as Josh since she just 'transferred' schools, tie, sweater vest and all. This must be the first time Josh has ever seen her in a skirt since her quinceañera. Her unruly dark curls are pushed away from her face with large circular sunglasses, and he can see her roller-skates hanging from her book-bag by the laces.

"I forgot to set my alarm last night," he says over his shoulder, slamming his door behind him. "Not my fault you got kicked out of the last one!"

"It wasn't mine either. Dallon shouldn't have tried bullying the freshman."

Josh rushes putting on his uniform, not bothering to tie his tie or his shoes. He grabs his backpack and phone and steps out, seeing Tiana on the floor playing with their golden retriever, Jim.

They've been friends for eleven years, ever since Tiana moved from Puerto Rico to Atlanta when she was five. She has no moral compass whatsoever, unless Josh counts, so she spends a lot of her time breaking rules and sometimes bones.

Because she's a wild card, bullies tend to stay away from Josh, who's quiet, nerdy and non-confrontational. Unfortunately for her, that also means she's been kicked out of six schools and counting. Since her dad is well liked in the city, she got into Josh's STEM school. He gives her a week before she gets expelled.

"I've got to run," his mom says, moving around the counter to give Josh a kiss on the cheek. "Make sure Tiana doesn't get in trouble, okay?"

"No promises," he jokes.

His mom kisses the top of Tiana's head on her way out. "Don't be late, you two."

"We won't!"

They barely make it on time. Josh sprints through the hall of his school, Tiana right beside him, and skids into his homeroom just as the late bell rings.

Mr. Holiday looks up from behind his grandpa glasses, eyeing the pair with mild disinterest. "Ah, there you are, Joshua. I was wondering when you'd show up. Who's this young lady with you?"

"This is-"

"Tatiana Rosario, sir," she introduces herself before Josh can say anything, walking up to his desk and thrusting her hand out. "I got by Tiana. I'm a transfer from Northview School Of Science."

"Ah, Miss Rosario. I nearly forgot we were expecting another sophomore for the new semester." He eyes her carefully before shaking her hand. "Welcome to Woodward High. I'll see to you getting your new schedule."

She beams at him and Josh gestures to two empty seats at the very back of the classroom. Tiana clears her throat and points at Josh tie, which hangs around his neck, still untied.

"Shut up," he says, quickly making a knot.

"I didn't say anything."

When homeroom ends, Josh waits for Tiana at the door as she collects her schedule, which aligns closely to his. They have three classes together: first, third, and last period.

"You're in AP History? Gross," Tiana grimaces, making a gagging face at the copy of Josh more intense schedule.

"You're just jealous I'm smarter than you," Josh jokes, guiding her to their class.

"I don't know about smarter, I've got higher grades than you."

"Hilarious. In which school is that?"

Tiana makes an oof sound and puts a hand over her heart. "Ouch. That one hurt, Joshua. It really did."

"Good. Just 'cause I'm smarter doesn't mean I'm better. You're way more talented than I am."

"Hey. What did I tell you about bad talking yourself?" She wags a finger in Josh face. "I'll kick your ass."

"Whatever. Come on, the forensic science building is on the other side of the school, so unless you want to be late on your fists day..."

She stops and gestures grandly, letting Josh get ahead of her. "Lead the way, sire."