4: Body of Glass

= "I want you to cherish yourself the way I cherish you" =

.

❄ - ⭐ - ❄

.

"Mizuki?"

Tanjiro questioned when the girl turned on her heels to face him. And when their gazes met, that's when he realized that she is indeed the girl that he met two years ago.

"What happened to you?" His voice in a mild surprise when he took in her appearance.

She had turned to be fatter than the last time they have met. Sure, he didn't recognize her the first time he saw her again. But looking at her closely now, the traces of that thin girl from before is still visible. Of course it is, she's Mizuki after all.

At his question, the girl just smiled sheepishly as she rub her head.

"Well, that... Ahahaha...." She trailed off. "I guess you could say that I got a little bit careless these last three months."

"What happened?"

Being a worrywart he is, Tanjiro furrowed his brows in concern on what might had happened to her during the times they weren't together. Immediately seeing his expression, Mizuki knew that there was no point in lying to him.

"I caught a chicken pox after I went to the town. And gramps wouldn't even let me out of the house. He's overreacting, I swear. Even if I tell him that I'm fine, he wouldn't yield. So during the times I was just inside the house, I ate and ate and ate, until I became like this." She gestured her hand towards herself.

The burgundy haired boy stared at her face for a while without saying anything. His ears actively listening to her explanation and her voice that he haven't heard for a while. There was it again, the girl isn't lying, but he could sense that she's keeping out some things.

Under his gaze, Mizuki grew uncomfortable. What could he be thinking? The intensity of his gaze is making her want to run away this instant. It was as if he could see whatever she is thinking right now.

"I see."

Finally, Tanjiro spoke with a nod of his head, making her release a sigh of relief. Her amethyst colored eyes then glanced around the area, spotting many participants who also wished to take the Final Selections.

"There are quite a lot of us." She suddenly mumbled, making the boy in front of her mimic her actions.

Mizuki had spotted a few of them that stood out in her eyes. There is a guy with blonde hair, mumbling words that she couldn't quite hear. A ferocious looking guy with a weird hairstyle. His intimidation aura is so strong that no one dares to come near him. And the last is a beautiful girl who is staring at a butterfly resting on her finger.

Aside from those three, no other participants caught her attention.

Their attention shifted when the hosts of the selections finally appeared. They looked like they were twins because of their resemblance with the only difference in their hair color- one is black and the other is white. Their deep black eyes looked like they were black holes ready to suck in anything.

As a start off, they both greeted the participants in chorus before going straight down to the business. Smoothly, they explained the mechanics of the exam before wishing everyone a good luck.

"Seven days, huh." Mizuki muttered to herself, fingers touching her skin. "That is quite a long time." Tilting her head, Mizuki looked at the people who are now walking away from the safety of the wisteria flowers.