33: not in that way

Start from the beginning

"Let's go have a drink," he says and wipes his wet hands on his jeans.

I push myself off the doorway and follow him down the stairs. We make our way through the crowd of students and I manage to catch a glimpse of Crystal and Makayla tossing their arms and legs around to an Asap Rocky song.

The kitchen where Martin is standing is what Josh and I make our way into. He's leaning against the countertop and staring right at us. Him and Josh both share a look. "Glad you could make it," Martin addresses me. His hair is messily scrawled on his forehead and his brown eyes are narrowed at me.

I rub my shoulder and look away. Josh pours himself an alcoholic drink. He pours one for me too. "Here. Drink up." Josh takes a long swing of his drink.

What the hell? I think before tipping my head back and taking a sip. Here's to forgetting about all my troubles. I hope Ethan's happy with himself.

I peer into my cups content. I look up and catch the heated gaze of Martin. He hasn't taken his eyes off me since we arrived. I swallow and jab a thumb over my shoulder. "I'm going to go pee. I'll be back." I walk off hurriedly before Josh can protest.

I disappear into the crowd and take a seat on the dark blue couch. The room is illuminated by strobe lights and people percolate to the music in wavelike movements. I sink back into the couch and observe. My feet are aching from these heels.

"Allison!" Taylor's black heels click against the floor as she rushes to me. Her cheeks are flushed, her eyes are wide. She's clad in a short, purple dress. "You need to leave."

I scrunch up my face. "Are we back to this again?" I sigh and get up from the couch. "You don't get to dictate what I can and can't do."

"No!" She shakes her head and grabs me by the shoulders. "It's not like that anymore. But you need to leave. Now."

I shrug her hands off. "Why?"

"It's not safe for you to be here. Go home to your boyfriend, Allison." She's starting to sound irritated.

"We're in a fight." The mention of him leaves a sour taste in my mouth. "That's kind of the reason why I'm here."

Taylor heaves out a sigh. "You still should go. I heard Martin and Josh. They're planning to do something to you. I'm not sure what, but I have an idea," she mutters darkly.

My heart sinks to my stomach. "What're you talking about?" My voice trembles when I speak.

"Martin tried to get me in on it. You know how he is," she deadpans. "And I pretended to go along with it. But I'm here now and I'm telling you to leave while you can."

I find myself nodding along. "O-okay," I mumble, petrified, and turn to leave; only to find myself face to face with Martin.

He stares down at me with a raised brow. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Home," I squeak and try to brush past him. He holds me by the elbow.

"Come on, you just got here." He chuckles. "Come upstairs with us." When he sees that I'm shaking my head and trying to push through him, he leans in and whispers, "Or else I'll tell everyone about you and Ethan."